AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

Definately. I did more research, and a few people said right away they just bumped out the multiplier and got it 3.2ghz right away. And people were getting it to 3.4-3.5ghz on air with decent temps, seeing at its only 65nm and 65w.

Okay so I want to OC my AMD x2 4000+ to about 2.4ghz (currently at 2.1). I have no idea how to go about doing this, but I do know I heard that the multipliers are locked or something, making it hard to OC that cpu much. Any help?

I own a 4000+. You can push it to 2.7ghz without touching to voltage. All you have to do is up your front side bus. Also, if you ram doesnt overclock well, change the ratio when you up the front side bus, so that the clock speed of the ram stays in a stable range. Turn your front side bus to 257, and you should be set. Run a quick stress test and moniter the tempuratures after. It should be fine, if not bump the voltage up one notch. As you can see, 4000+ overclock great, I have mine at 3ghz right now, could push it to 3.05-3.1 if I had better cooling.

That's all helpful and now I know a little more, but I don't know how to do any of that lol. Not sure how to turn up the front side bus. My gpu runs kind of hot, though my cpu is pretty cool. This being said, I don't think I want to try OCing it quite that much. 2.4-2.5 would be great. Can you help me to do this? haha

Edit: as far as ram, wasn't looking to OC it but I guess I could give that a go. I have 3 gigs of 800 mhz dual channel ram.

Do you know how to get into your BIOS setting when your booting up? In there you should be able to turn up the front side bus in a section labeled something to the effect of "Overclocking" "Performence settings" "Clock Settings" etc..

it should say something like "external clock speed" or "clock speed", something of the sort.
it will likely be in the advanced or advanced chipset features section of your bios.
i disagree with spikoman and dont think a "quick stress test" is the proper method of testing overclock stability. stress tests should be methodical and thorough if you are testing an overclock that you would like to use 24/7, even if it is only 300mhz. thats just my opinion. its also the opinion of the general enthusiast community. i have been testing my q9450 almost constantly for the past two weeks, looking for weak links in my overclock. if you are looking for a quick superpi run for a screenshot, thats a different story. if you are only going 300mhz, you shouldnt really need to do much to your rig. do you mind if i ask why you only want to oc 300mhz?

@Nagasma - Ya, a long stress test is a good idea, but I just said a quick one (30 minutes??) If you overclock it to what I said for the 4000+ because I know what it will stay stable at from my experiance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom