what happened to 8900 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
Wasn't there supposed to be a geforce 8900 series before the 9000 series cards? I am just wondering

If you want to believe google, they still are planning to release them, but nividia is using a new form of gpgpu's for that line of cards. As the gpu isn't quite perfected yet, I'm guessing they released the 9 series as a 'filler'/'placeholder' of sorts.

Yes they should be. Apparently ATI has always been ahead of Nvidia with respect to gpu's, and now that Nvidia is improving it's design, it should be a killer card. (if you can afford it.)
There always is the possibility that Nvidia will decide to scrap the series and incoperate what was the 8900 into a new series, the 10,000 series? :) Idk

I thought they had prototype 8900s already built.. I remember seeing pics but it could have been the 9 series

I doubt they will still brand it as 8series, perhaps a new 9 series designation. For those who want a top end card, but haven't done the research, they will go to an internet shop, and click on the the '9 series' tab over the '8 series' tab below it. That said, Nvidia don't exactly have the greatest track record for using unambiguous naming conventions.

8900 series is discontiniued... they decided that the 8800Ultra should be the top member of the 8 series... 9 series is what's in now (and they aren't that great as it is)

if they were to release it in some form you guys are right because noobs will think it is a worse card then the 9 series. I see these things happening alot with my noob/stubborn friends saying that they chose an 8300gs over a 7900GT because its a higher number and therefore a better card. But what cracks me up most is they think they are getting such a sweet deal 40 bucks lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom