Help me with a $600 build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weavesy

Solid State Member
First of all, hello, and thanks for taking the time to read this thread. :)

Some of you may remember me when I posted a few days ago about having trouble running WoW on a laptop. Well I've given up on that and decided to go ahead with building a gaming rig.

The budget I am setting myself is $600 (not including a monitor or mouse, includes case). And I'm here looking for YOUR help/criticism on my build. I have little knowledge about gaming computers but I am a fast learner and have already learned a lot by trolling around for the week or so.

I will primarily be gaming on this computer. I would say about 80% of my time spent will be gaming, the other 20% general multi-tasking.

Right now my main questions have to do with processor/motherboard/video card combinations. For example, I'm struggling to figure out the best type of processor for my needs. I'm told by friends that AMD 64's are the best for gaming and for my price range. But I've lately heard a lot of talk about dual-core and the like.

This leads me to my next problem. As I am on a $600 budget, I'm not sure what component (mobo, video card, proccessor) I can skimp out on a little bit, and what part I need to spend more on. Any advice here?

If anyone would like to post a starter build or maybe just get me started with a processor/mobo combination or something like that, that would be awesome!

Thanks a lot!

P.S. If ABSOLUTELY necessary, price is flexible by a maximum of $50. ;)

EDIT: I also forgot to add I will not be overclocking on this rig.

$600

Phenom 9550 or Phenom 8750 (up to you if you want Quad-Core or Tri-Core)
Biostar TA770
9600gt
Corsair 550vx
I can't think of good RAM right now... (need assist here) probably a 4gb OCZ Reaper Kit??
Case, HD are upto you
Do you need an Operating System?

I don't think I should need any software, and if I do it will be separate from my budget. However, I am still undecided about the great WinXP vs. Vista battle and would like some input there.

Also, I entered "9600gt" in New Egg and got a lot of cards, sorry for the newb question but could you be more specific?

Thanks!

I don't think I should need any software, and if I do it will be separate from my budget. However, I am still undecided about the great WinXP vs. Vista battle and would like some input there.

Also, I entered "9600gt" in New Egg and got a lot of cards, sorry for the newb question but could you be more specific?

Thanks!

just get the cheapest 9600GT u can find since they are all the same except the cooler

Also, what are the differences between duo, tri, and quad core? Are the noticeable when it comes to gaming?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also forgot to add I will not be overclocking on this rig.

Also, what are the differences between duo, tri, and quad core? Are the noticeable when it comes to gaming?

Thanks!

Duo is currently the best for gaming because most games dont use 4 cores. Youll get higher FPS (Frames Per Second) if you upgrading soon this is a good choice

Tri dont know anything about it i think it is only for AMD

Quad is more future proof so if your not upgrading soon this is ur best choice
soon games will benefit the extra cores

EDIT: for ur other question: Why not overclock a little? If you wont overclock get the one with the highest CPU Speed but i think u should overclock so u can get the best bang for ur buck

Thanks vernogg, and thank you very much Prototype as well!

Although I'm a bit skeptical about the ratings that particular card received. It definetly doesn't seem to be too popular. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom