Format And Re-install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dykzeulb

In Runtime
My desktop completly crashed, loaded with trojans, and all kinds of irratating crap, called dell they sent me the Windows XP Media center reinstall disk & my drivers disks for a fresh start, I can still get on my computer, however I am wanting to erase my entire C/: drive before I install, pretty much giving it a fresh start again, I have numerous spare drives a 500 gb external a 400 gb internal, and an 80 gb internal which is C/: and the opsystem and programs use, the rest is for muiltimedia, and such. I was just curious as to if I could possibly go in, without booting up, but doing like a dos prompt, and erase the whole C Drive, boot from the reinstall disk, partition it back, and install and do my driver re-install? I just dont want to have all these added files on my media drives if I were to swap em, format, and swap em back, it tends to be a pain...looking for some input or ideas! Thanks

Download killdisk and put it on a floppy or burn it to CD. Boot to the disk and format the drive. However, if you only have a restore disk, you may need the restore partition left intact.

There is also GParted, DBan and a few others that will do it. Along with doing it right from within the XP Disc to format.

Thanks guys, plan on trying to do this as soon as I get home, I am at work now, using a winterm, so nothing can be done here, probably jump on my vaio laptop and burn it, I just want to wipe C:/ all together and start fresh, I have all the drivers on a disc, along with the fresh start copy of XP media center.

Installing Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I wrote that up a while back. It will be exactly the same with MCE as it is with XP. Just a extra step later on when you have to insert the 2nd disc. Unless Dell sent you the MCE DVD.

yeah dell media center is a dvd. it add a bunch other hidden junk too. somebody on demonoid once posted how to get rid of the extra junk. let me see if I can find it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom