Dell - Overpriced RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelminns

Baseband Member
So I've been in the process of putting together a machine on the Canadian Dell website & discovered that to add the ram listed below costs about $1600 or so:

8GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 800MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

I thought that was a pretty high price, so I checked tigerdirect.ca for some similar ram & found these sticks for $130 or so.

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB) OCZ2N800SR4GK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I also found this stick for $85 or so.

Centon 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory 2GB800DDR2 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

So can anyone tell me if the ram that dell is selling is in fact different than the stuff tigerdirect has? I've always heard that Dell was a bit overpriced but this is outrageous. I must be missing something.

You can see my previous post to get an idea of what I'm building:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/8-cores-w-8-gb-ram-174390/

Do you have a screenshot of that RAM with the high price? That sounds completely way off base. Dell usually overprices RAM by $20-30 per GB but not THAT much. Are you sure it wasn't DDR3 RAM that was listed on Dell? Because DDR3 is much more expensive and 8GB of that probably could run pretty high.

So I've been in the process of putting together a machine on the Canadian Dell website & discovered that to add the ram listed below costs about $1600 or so:

8GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 800MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

I thought that was a pretty high price, so I checked tigerdirect.ca for some similar ram & found these sticks for $130 or so.

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB) OCZ2N800SR4GK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I also found this stick for $85 or so.

Centon 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory 2GB800DDR2 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

So can anyone tell me if the ram that dell is selling is in fact different than the stuff tigerdirect has? I've always heard that Dell was a bit overpriced but this is outrageous. I must be missing something.

You can see my previous post to get an idea of what I'm building:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/8-cores-w-8-gb-ram-174390/

You missed something. It's EEC ram for a server. That's why it's expensive.

The highest price on Newegg for ECC SDRAM at DDR2 800 ends up being about $36 per GB or $288 total. Not sure what company or type of ECC ram it could be that would be that expensive.

FB dimms are why its so expensive. Its the same kind of crap you have to put in the skulltrail board. ITs because its basically server memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom