Partitioning my Hard Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattD4

Solid State Member
As I said before, I'm building a new system. So, with my current old and beat up one I think I will fool around and try to learn with it. Something I want to try is this, partitioning the Hard Drive. I would like to learn as much as I can, my computer is rather old, like it was bought in Christmas of 1997 I believe. It was likely a top of the line system back then, as the price was quite high (around $2,500). Anyways, anyone care to give me some instructions on how to do this? My HD is only like 1.7Gigs, VERY small to say the least. Please also give instructions on how to set up the BIOS aswell, if I need too.

if you are running windows xp, you can partition your drives to your liking while installing the system, though i am not sure what is the minimum size of the disk that windows xp installation requires.

if you make your old hard drive a slave, and are running windows xp as your os.
left click on start
right click on "my computer"
left click "manage"
goto "disk management" and you cna play around.

dont know if these featuers are supported on windows 2000 or previous versions of windows.

no offense Dave, but that article on partitioning really sucks. it blows a lot of smoke up your *ss and requires commercial softwares. i prefer the standard way of partitioning plus you do not have to buy any 3rd party utilities like Partition Magic.

if you want to learn to partition the REAL way goto computerhope.com and read up on how to do this with their FDISK simulator. another method if you have Ghost is use GDISK.exe or GDISK32.exe. if you have winXP/2K you can type "diskmgmt.msc" and that will bring up disk management. this is a very easy to use utility, just use their wizard. all of these softwares are free except GDISK & GDISK32.

-edit
forgot to add you need to get to a run box to type in "diskmgmt.msc". click start>run or windows key+R

ekÆsine said:
no offense Dave, but that article on partitioning really sucks. it blows a lot of smoke up your *ss and requires commercial softwares. i prefer the standard way of partitioning plus you do not have to buy any 3rd party utilities like Partition Magic.

if you want to learn to partition the REAL way goto computerhope.com and read up on how to do this with their FDISK simulator. another method if you have Ghost is use GDISK.exe or GDISK32.exe. if you have winXP/2K you can type "diskmgmt.msc" and that will bring up disk management. this is a very easy to use utility, just use their wizard. all of these softwares are free except GDISK & GDISK32.

Thanks for the help, I didn't want or feel that I need to download/buy any software or utilities, I knew that you could do it without them, thanks for the site.

ekÆsine said:

-edit
forgot to add you need to get to a run box to type in "diskmgmt.msc". click start>run or windows key+R

i just posted a topic for help with formatting a disk, then done a search for it and this came up! Cheers, this helped me in a bigway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom