Messenger error

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm... well, u do have a norton firewall file in there... the file ccpwdsvc is typically used by nortons as a firewall and to allow only certain users internet access... u may not of intentionally installed it, but it is there. This MAY be your problem here, read the following:

Common Client Windows Account Validation Service. Task which is part of the Norton 2003/4 security products (AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Internet Security) and used on Windows 2000/XP/2003. Although we are not 100% certain, from what we have observed CCPWDSVC is used when you configure the Norton Firewall to only allow access to the Internet to specific users. When that is the case, and when the Norton Firewall has been configured to check a userÂ’s username and password against the ones defined on the Windows PC, then this task is invoked to validate the password entered by the user who is trying to access the Internet.

Thanky you Killian. In addition to turning off the firewall, I also disabled the specific service, just to see if norton coudl get by without it. Regretablly it seems to cause many errors with norton.

forgot about this one! was buried when I got back to work so wonder if it ever got fixed? Did messenger work now but it messed Nortons?

Just found some curious info. Have you installed/updated to directx 9 recently? Turns out it still has the problem sometimes of killling messenger, ms seems to not know exactly why (dont blame them, it is odd). I've seen some uninstallers via a google search. see if that does it.

if your not looking for features with messenger and just want to talk you should try Trillian its a nice alternative, also can connect to yahoo, aol, icq, irc. its what i use. and if you dont like this try making a new account, i used to have the same problem with my main email addy displaying same error, then i made a new account and tried it signed in. so yeah good luck

Killians: Dotn worr,y I kind of forgot about this also. Ive been so pre-occupied with starting my new job and formatting my hardrives that I havent really paid that much attentino to the internet. Anyways, after reformatting my hardrives and installing a fresh compy of windows, I still havent gotten this little gem fixed. And, yes, I have updated to Dx9. I think this was occuring before I updated though, so im not entirley sure if thats the problem. If it is, is MS working on a fix for this problem? Also how far back would I have to take DirectX before my messenger would work again? Ive gotten Doom 3 and Thief: Dark Shadows, and I need Dx9 for both of them to opperate.

Blackcomb: Thanks for the suggestion, ill give it a shot. Im afraid that I have already tried this same idea with a program called Messenger 2 (not related to MSN Messenger). Unfourtunately I still couldnt access the MSN network. I havent tried it with any of the other messenger networks, but since I dont know anyone on any of them, it wouldn't do me any good even if they did work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom