HDD Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
I just ordered a processor for a build i am doing and am now hunting for a HDD. I was going to wait another 17 days until i got paid again but i think i found a deal i should take advantage of.

At NCIX they have a sale going on and i can get a 1TB Samsung spinpoint for $170. The deal is over soon though so i have to decide fast. Here is the HDD.
NCIX.com - Buy Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 8.9MS 32MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Wrnty - HD103UJ In Canada.

I also saw a 500GB spinpoint with 16mb cache for only $70. This is the Hdd i am leaning towards because it is so cheap. Am i going to notice a drastic difference in performance between the 32mb cache and 16mb cache ? Here is the HDD anyways.
NCIX.com - Buy Samsung Spinpoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 8.9MS 16MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Wrnty - HD501LJ In Canada.

Are these deals not anything worth getting excited over or should i take advantage. If these types of sales are on all the time i will wait until my paycheck to order but i do have the money i could spend now without it ruining me lol.

What am i going to notice it in ? Like just loading times for apps and games or will it bottleneck me in anyways ? The price difference is huge, $170 for a 1000gig drive or $70 for 500gig drive. Unless it is a difference that is defiantly unanimously worth it among everyone i am going to cheap out on this. Although, i could perhaps spend an extra $30 and get the seagate 7200.11 500gig that has 32mb cache. I would feel more comfortable getting a WD or Seagate HDD anyways. Would that maybe be my best option ?

Ok i found the 32mb seagate for $83 and only $7 for shipping. Ordering 1 this weekend, I just want to go to the evga website and double check that my motherboard will be compatible with it. What confuses me a little is that the HDD says it is SATA but it also says it is 3.0Gb/s. I thought that sata was 1.5g and sata2 was 3.0g. Here is the HDD anyways at the site i am ordering from.

Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Desktop Drives > 3.5" SATA Drives : Seagate Barracuda (ST3500320AS) 7200.11 SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 500GB 32MB Cache (OEM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom