I've set up an AMD vs Intel Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sox18

Baseband Member
And I need recommendations. I'll start with my suggested intel build first.
Processor:
Intel core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: Unsure, either the EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard
or the cheaper
EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Video Card (s): I don't quite have the money for SLI, but I will by the end of the month.
EVGA 8800 GT
I do need better suggestions for this video card.
RAM:
I have no idea about the ram yet, I really only need 2 gigs right now.
PSU:
OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt * not sure on PSU*
HD: Two of these
WD 250 gig
And I have a case that will support it and a monitor and speakers and I will buy a decent sound card in the near future. I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

I'll post the AMD setup in a sec

And now the AMD
Processor:
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core
Motherboard:
Gigabyte MA790X-DS4
Vid Card: Need suggestions again
I can afford two of these: Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 Video Card
PSU: No idea
RAM: Absolutely no idea.

whats size resolution are you playing. If its 1680 or lower I'd just get a 8800GTS 512. If you plan on playing bigger. Two 9600gt's will do you good. Or you can get a X38 chipset and do HD3870 xfire

whats size resolution are you playing. If its 1680 or lower I'd just get a 8800GTS 512. If you plan on playing bigger. Two 9600gt's will do you good. Or you can get a X38 chipset and do HD3870 xfire

meh, to be honest I have absolutely no idea. It's an "hd" monitor that I've really only used once or twice.
Actually I just looked it's still brand new and it says "Widescreen 1440 X 900"
720p HD ready dvi-d w/ hdcp input
vga analog input...

No idea, i got it for free and i haven't really used it besides dual with my laptop once to mess around

Also when comparing the 8800 GT vs the 8800 GTS what is the big difference? The GT i picked out has a higher core clock and memory clock vs the GTS but has less steam processors. I am not necessarily grasping that. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

Clock speeds dont mean much if anything. Its the stream processors and architecture.

The GTS 512mb is better than the GT. Two 9600GT's are better than two 8800GT's and a 3870 is fraction worse than a 9600GT.

Clock speeds dont mean much if anything. Its the stream processors and architecture.

The GTS 512mb is better than the GT. Two 9600GT's are better than two 8800GT's and a 3870 is fraction worse than a 9600GT.

Okay so in theory two 3870's will be cheaper and better than two 8800 gts'?

Basically I just need to know if i should go with the AMD/crossfire setup or intel/SLI?

2 x 9600GT would only run $300 or less. If you are going SLI that would be the ticket for best bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom