XP SP3 Problems - stalling, impossible to install, strange HD issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the thing to me is this. If you have "test" machines with the same setup as those in the field why are they not used in the field? That is where this stuff is going to be used right? So if it performs in this "test" enviroment how do you know it will perform out there?

We aren't looking for an exact and flawless science... there is no such thing. But, let's say that we have a PRODUCTION pdc in germany...there is no sdc. It's your task to upgrade it to Server 03 SP1. If it crashes, you're screwed for a while... people can't log into their domain. You also have the exact same hardware and software in a test control environment (not "controlled" environment... "control" environment) Going into the upgrade you know nothing about how it would react. If business practices already allow and are alloted for time upgrading in the test environment to be THAT MUCH MORE SURE that everything will be fine... then why not do it rather than BE LESS SURE and potentially apologize later. Keep in mind that we are a large business that has more than 150,000 employees world wide. We have mock routing practices that are setup with mock workloads for all of the environments too.

I can understand the aspect from a business end. This is all personal use i am talking. I would never do this on a business machine. But at the same time if my machine goes down, like it did this weekend, i have other methods to get things done. The laptop or Linux LiveCD's. ;)

The laptop is not touched by me. I only use it for net purposes. Nothing else. I am not allowed to touch it by the wifey. She doesnt want that one down as much as mine is. :p

I can understand what you are saying Doc. It is just something personal that i feel and do. When people tell me that they setup a VM box on their PC to test something out i just shake my head. Its like "How do you know it will work on your PC when the VM machine will haev none of that stuff installed?"

Just a personal bad habit. Could be why i spent a couple of hours every couple of months reinstalling...

Oh ok, well yea in that case fine :) I would rather read up on the SP prior to the install and just create a ASR or create a restore point first though rather than going into it blindly.

I totally understand your point too Mak, just don't have the time. By the time I get off work, I want to "play" rather than go into a blind SP install and then spend more time reformatting. I suppose that my initial thought was in this post ... just because SP3 is available in the AU screen doesn't mean that Microsoft blesses it ready for every PC instance and you aren't going to have problems installing it. It's worth it to me to read up on the SP first or... if I MUST go blindly... have a backout plan. Create an ASR or restore point. Takes just a few minutes :)

True. That is what i was trying to get at with the link to the news article and the talks of the drivers. I can understand both sides. I can understand all the info about wanting to play. I get that way at times where i will take time off the site and play a game....speaking of which i have to reinstall them....as it is great fun and a great stress reliever.

But i have gotten a great system down where i can be back up and running in about 90 minutes with all the major apps needed. Not to bad. :p

What Mak can do in 80 minutes that he lost during a reinstall :)
90 minutes of said time - 10 minutes time is takes to create an ASR and then recover from it

1) Play a game
2) Take a nap
3) Play with the kids?
4) Make a FANTASTIC dinner like (Chicken A LA Mak)
5) Take a shower and turn into a prune
6) Get a massage?

Mak is open for suggestions!!! :) lol just kidding man :)

Well Vista I lose my Restore Points cause i dual boot. ;) So that doesnt helpo me. :p

1. Still do. Wii games.
2. naps are over rated. I tried that before but was always tired.
3. I am on the PC only when the baby is sleeping or napping. So there is no lost time with that aspect.
4. Still do that as well. Grilling. :)
5. do that first thing in the morning.
6. the wife is usually sleeping or working.

So as you see. The only lost time i get is nothing that i really need. It is usually late at night. Like now. 11PM. Did that hte other day. Reinstall XP at 11 PM and was sleeping by 12:30. :D

There is a few reports. But nothing really major that they should hold it back any longer. Most of the stuff i have seen is driver related.

I disabled my AV, turned off comodo and it keeps on failing. Have you heard of this? Any idea what could be causing this?

Could be drivers. RealTek has been troublesome for Microsoft lately. Could be yoru chipset drivers. Could be you need to update your BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom