XP SP3 Problems - stalling, impossible to install, strange HD issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsurfer

El Mágico
Hey everyone,

First of all I'd like to point out that this is not the HD problem that appeared on the XP SP3 beta version.

Today I saw SP3 for XP (I'm running XP PRO OEM) on Windows Update, so I decided to install it. Half way through the install, the system freezes, and after a couple of minutes I get a black screen and a loud beep on the speakers. I hard reset, and my primary SATA HD does not appear while doing the POST, and I get a "non system disk" error. After hitting the reset button again, the HD appears and I also enter the BIOS setup and I see it there. I try to start, get to the windows loading (scrolling blue bar) screen, and after ages I decide to reset again. Next comes safe mode, and after 10 minutes or so the computer reboots, Windows starts normally, and all is up and running....still with SP2 though. No glitches, both HDs are OK, etc. Strange.

Well, I then tried to install SP3 manually, turned off every single resident program I have, made a manual restore point, and started the update. At around 40% it stopped, froze again, and just stayed that way. I reset it and the HD had "disappeared" again. :O As soon as I reset again it was back. Still on SP2. And it's all working fine.

Just this weekend I formatted my (quite new) Raptor X, made a fresh install, system is at stock speeds, cool and rock stable since Saturday (and still is, it seems).

My system is: X2 4400 (939), A8N-SLI Deluxe OEM (Latest BIOS and chipset drivers), 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR, Audigy 2 OEM, brand new MSI 8800 GTS-512, Seasonic S12 500w PSU, System HD is a WD Raptor X (6 months old, installed a couple of weeks ago for the first time), secondary is a 3-4 year old 160 GB SATA Barracuda, and I have a Pioneer DVD-R/W (108 I think).

I run Win XP Pro (original OEM license).

I'd much appreciate any help and / or suggestions, since I'd like to update to SP3.

Thanks a lot!

Eeerm, thanks for the tip, but my Automatic Update downloaded it today, well, automatically, and the little yellow shield appeared in my tray, so I checked it out first, and it was SP3. I assumed that it would be OK to install them. So, has it been halted again (because it seems it was released today via Windows Update, at least for the EU)?

I have had it installed for a while now. So i do not know for fact if it was re-released today via WU. My guess would be a driver conflict. This is the same issue many users reprted for Vista SP1. Do you havea RealTek Sound device on your system?

I've had this happen to two customers who had automatic updates enabled. I ended up taking their computers to see what's going on and I could not fix it. I ended up backing up data and doing a fresh install without sp3. I did not enable auto update this time. :)

Just updated to SP3 last night on this system...testing it out before I do it on my main rig (when my motherboard gets back in tomorrow). Seems to be working fine; WLM had to repair itself, but that only took a minute. Sound and everything else seems to be working great here.

I personally have not had a issue. But for the most part it seems that the RealTek devices are the ones that have the biggest issue. They are fubar on Vista and could very well be with XP SP3 as well.

RealTek drives are working fine on my side. Don't think they're the most updated ones either..guess I can't remember what I all updated on this machine lol.

Then it could be some other drivers. It could also be that it isnt a driver issue. My only suggestion. Remove all USB devices except the mouse and keyboard and try again.

Or go into Safe Mode with Networking and see if it will install there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom