Q6700 or E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Evga nForce 680i sli and no Ram yet. I can get whatever ram suits the processor best. Same thing goes for every other piece i have to buy. If the Q6600 can go 400 x 9, does that mean the Q6700 can go 400 x 10 ? So like 3.6G/s max vs 4g/s max ? I have been reading the overclocking manual for my mobo at the nvidia website here, http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf
That manual helps but is still a bit over my head at the moment.

EDIT:
Ok after hours and hours of reading i am starting to understand this a little. I am reading all over the place that my motherboard is terrible to overclock with. My FSB is going to top off somewhere between 350-375. Also i guess some people have troubles overclocking with this motherboard while having all 4 Ram slots full. So i am going to be limited to 2024x2 @ 1066

I am ordering the Q6700 tonight i think because it sounds like i will be putting that extra multiplier to use and i would rather spend an extra $40 i didn't need to than cheat myself out.

well if you really want to oc past 3.6 then the q6700 is worth it. But since this is your first time ocing i think you should pace yourself.

Ok the Q6700 is in the mail. Thanx for the help. Now it is time for me to start reading about ram and HDDs.

Ram is pretty simple to pick: pretty much get crucial ballistix or g.skill... and as low timings/high speed as you can afford... and keep in mind what operating system youre running... if its 32-bit, you only can utilize something like 3.xGB of RAM... so most people stick to 2GB... but if youre running 64-bit, have at it... haha
and as for HDDs, its kinda just how much space you wanna spend on... and then i would stick to something in the WD SE16 series or the Seagate 7200.11 series...
just some thoughts, good luck :) - RK

I guess i have to start deciding on 32bit vs 64bit.

The only 3 HDDs i have had in mind so far are the WD SE16 Caviar 500g, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gig (the one with the 32mb memory buffer) or the Samsung Spinpoint 1TB (becasue of reviews and price). I actually plan on getting only 1 HDD to start and adding a 2nd internal and maybe even a 3rd external after my PC is built and running. I doubt i will go raid, any really important info i save on dvd anyways so i am not to worried about losing data in case something happens. I want to read what sata type my motherboard supports before ordering. I know i can use regular Sata but now i am seeing sata2 HDDs and i want to investigate that a bit. It will be 2-3 weeks before i have money to order anyways so i guess i have the time to read read read and read some more.

i would say stick with the 7200.11 500gb (32mb cache) there pretty fast.

sata is 1.5gb/s
sata2 is 3.0gb/s

so if it says it has 3.0gb/s sata 2 will work....usually it says it sumwhere inthe title or description if it supports sata 2 =D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom