Opinions on 32bit vs 64 bit XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_helmet

Daemon Poster
Hi guys,

Yes this is another 32 vs 64bit thread, but its more about your experiences. I am upgrading my dads work computer from Windows 2000, which he needs every day for his business.

I am using Vista 64bit, but im thinking XP is better for him as it will mean less dramas.

So i just want to know what you guys think - should i put 64 or 32bit XP on there? It needs to be really stable and reliable.

There is always the possibility he will need to upgrade to 4GB of ram later, but 64bit may not be worth the lessened driver support.

Opinions?

Since it is your fathers. 32 Bit. Do not switch him to 64 Bit. Plus being that the machine runs 2000 right now. I am sure that the CPU isnt even 64 Bit.

I still agree that 64-bit can cause uneeded issues. Best to stick with 32-bit so he won't be bugging you about little problems all the time. 4gb of ram still works on 32-bit btw. Just a certain portion is reserved for OS only, so you see like 3.5gb. All 4 is in use.

Even with those specs. I still suggest 32 Bit. He knows it. Jsut about everything works on it. Better to give him something he knows that to say

"By the way you have to find 64 Bit versions of everything now."

Then have him look at you with the Derr in the head lights look. ;)

32 Bit is best for older users, myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom