a350n: Upgrade, Or NEED New Comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'll look into that. I'm probably going to be ordering all the parts off of newegg in about 3 weeks :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anyone else have any insight?

Another option for the cpu is the new E7200. It is based on the new 45nm manufacturing process and is an excellent overclocker. It may be outside your budget but I thought it was worth mentioning it.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

If you do not get the E7200 I would go with the E2180. The E2180 can also overclock to 2.8ghz on stock voltage.

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Regardless of your cpu choice I would get the DS3l like krazyq suggested.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

What about the 1mb cache? Is that poor or is that decent, I'm not famlilar with cache is (quite frankly, I have no clue what it is :laughing: ) I would like to get the e7200, but if I do, I would like to see if I cuould cut the cost off of other parts to get back to the same price as i was with the e4600. Also, does anyone know of any cheapcheapcheap keyboard+mouse combos? Like under $50, because I believe they have some on newegg, not sure what's good and what's not.

Ok, I know I asked before how to overclock...but that guide is too **** long. I'm sorry, but that has so much info that I don't feel is necessary to know. Is there anyway one of you could just tell me right here in a post?

The more you know about overclocking the better but here is the extremely short version.

CPU Speed = multiplier x FSB

All of the processors your are looking at have locked multipliers so to increase the cpu speed you must raise the FSB. For example the E2180 has a 10x multiplier and a FSB of 200mhz. (you divide the FSB you see on the board like 800, 1066, or 1333 by 4 to get the FSB that determines cpu speed). So if you want to overclock the E2180 to 2.8ghz you would go into the BIOS and change the FSB from 200mhz to 280mhz. Past a certain speed ( About 2.8 on a E2180) you will need to increase the cpu's voltage for it to remain stable. You should increase the Voltage in very small increments and your goal is to use the lowest voltage your cpu is stable at. You should NOT exceed 1.5 volts. To determine if your cpu is stable you run a program like Orthos, Prime 95, or occt ,which test cpu stability. When you overclock a cpu it runs at a higher speed so it produces more heat. You should use core temp to monitor your cpu's temperature. I would avoid letting the cpu temperature exceed 65c when running a stability test.

I really recommend reading the guide since there is a small chance that overcloking will damage your components if it is done improperly.

The motherboard on your Hp will have a locked bios so you can't overclock it.

I would just try overclocking your new system on stock voltage.

Ok, also, do you know how much faster this new processor willbe than my old one? Like, will the change like heaven on earth? Because I've had this computer for 5 years and it takes literally like 4 minutes to turn on.

Heaven on Earth is an accurate description of what your new system will feel like compared to your old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom