Connection trouble with Windows Live Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendBreath

Daemon Poster
Hi there,
I got a friend which is having trouble with Windows Live Messenger. She gets kick off from the server from time to time, sometimes she can stay online 5 minutes or an hour. She has three computers, two laptops, which are wireless, and one desktop. She's only having that problem on the main desktop. We tried using another client, like emesene, but no go. She has Avast! Home, and Ewido Anti-Spyware. Doesn't seem to have any spyware or anything. We tried deleting the MSN Messenger folders in the Application Data folder, but it doesn't do anything. Cleared SSL state, and everything, running out of ideas :p

Could anyone tell me what's the problem? What could we tried to fix that.

MAke sure that her firewall isnt preventing her and that she isnt using something like PeerGuardian 2. I know that blocks some connections. Like XFire.

Uninstall and reinstall WLM. Make sure that she isnt using APatch or Plus.

Already did that a couple of time, but I don't think it's the client as we tried with another client, but right now, we're both having trouble, almost can't go on Windows Mail website nor MSN Web Messenger. Might it be some trouble with our ISP? (Rogers, in Canada) Usually I don't have problems, when she's having problem, we're not on the same node tough. Could it be Ewido (never used that software), not Avast, as I also have it.

I have WLM and Mail both running and have not had a issue with them. Have you gotten the updated version from the site recently? Have you checked for any updates via WU? (Windows Update)

It could be Ewido. I would check the settings and make sure that it doesnt have a IM scanner or blocker.

It also depends on which version you are running. 8.5 and 9 are known to have this issue for a couple of days then be fine for weks or months then all of a sudden it happens again.

If anything get version 8.1 from the web and install that but dont update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom