Probably a PSU Problem, Just Want To Make Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
I have this computer with me that when I try to turn it on all it does is make a clicking sound once, the CPU fan twitches and then the comp just stops. I've checked all connectors etc.

Think it could be something else or am I right about the PSU? I also tried flipping the power switch connector; same thing.

Well I set up the new PSU and it's still doing the same thing. I'm thinking the old PSU either fried the motherboard as well or it's only the motherboard that's dead. The fans all just twitch like before. The light on the motherboard is on so it is receiving power.

Oh and I picked up a 500W OCZ StealthXStream. Good price for them right now.

Checked RAM at all? I've had strange problems where you wouldn't even think of it being the RAM but it turns out that it is so i would check that first.

If not that then it has to be the board

Anyway you can run a stress test on it or anything? Like from:

Memtest86 - Download Page
.StressLinux.org. - .System.High.Load.Test.

I know you probably have MemTest86. But the Stress Linux is a good CPU tester. LiveCD as well. So there are some options. But from what you say i would now say that testing a new PSU and getting the same results it is not looking good for hte mobo.

Have you gone down to basic hardware to test?

No I can't do anything with it. Funny problem. I've only seen this once before but it was the PSU that was the issue. It's down to the motherboard, CPU and RAM. The CPU fan and the new PSU fan still just twitch for a second and then the thing doesn't respond. No power, nothing. Other than the green light on the motherboard.

sounds like a fried mobo most likely then. Seems like it gets power for a second then a short interrupts it.

You should RMA that board if you can.

Naw it isn't mine. I do a lot of repair work for people as my side job. I'll have to ask the guy if it's still under warranty but I don't think it is. He got it when the Core 2 wasn't out and Pentium D was the best Intel could offer. 2 years old or more I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom