Need help with my first build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

burkish127

Solid State Member
So I'm building my own PC, first time ever. I have some knowledge of how everything works, but I'm certainly no expert. I intend to build a pretty good gaming machine that I won't need to upgrade any time soon. Vista Ultimate 64bit. I did some research and I want to do an SLI build. I'm only buying one video card for now, though, because of the price.

I've been browsing and I think I've found a set up I like, but as I said, I'm no expert. I tried to figure it out myself, but I'm not sure if all these components are fully compatible with each other.

So I was wondering if these things will all work together and if they're good choices. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative choices, I'm all ears.

I've noticed everybody on here seems to use newegg.com. I found all my stuff on TigerDirect.com because that was the first site someone referred me to. If newegg is better, I'll try and find all this stuff there once I know it'll all work together.

Here's what I got so far...

1. Case
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 External Drive Bays, Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports
I've heard complaints from people that motherboards and PSU's don't fit in their cases. I don't know how to determine if my choices will fit.

2. Motherboard ***Updated to support the DDR2 Memory
EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

3. Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor EU80580PJ0606M - 2.50GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

4. PSU
PC Power & Cooling / Silencer / 750-Watt / Quad PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Black Power Supply

5. Memory
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
These are so cheap I'm considering getting two of them, so 8 GB total (4x2048MB). Would that be worth it/would it work?

6. Video Card
EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMI
If this is a good choice if I'm planning on eventually getting a second card to take advantage of SLI?

7. Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme PCIe

8. Hard Disc Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM
I'm planning one getting two of these.

9. DVD Drive/Burner
Philips SPD2415BD SuperAlwrite Internal Drive DVD Retail - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 48x CD-R, 12x DVD-RAM, Black
I'm going to get two of these also, and I plan to eventually get a Blue Ray Drive.

10. Monitor
Samsung 220WM 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 700:1, 1680x1050 (WSXGA+), D-Sub, DVI-D, Black

11. Keyboard
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
I'm not a fan of the price or the color of the newer model, that's why I picked this one.

Also, I don't really know what to look for in cooling systems/fans. And I don't know what chords, wires, screws, etc. I'll need that aren't included. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Get the 7200.11 HD's instead.... buy from Newegg, that PSU is overkill the PC Power and Cooling s610 is enough

don't get the 780i because you have a 9800gx2 so you can't Tri-SLI with it, so a 750i FTW board is enough

Get the 7200.11 HD's instead.... buy from Newegg, that PSU is overkill the PC Power and Cooling s610 is enough

don't get the 780i because you have a 9800gx2 so you can't Tri-SLI with it, so a 750i FTW board is enough

Go with this, just remember though--the PSU he is recommending can only handle 1 9800gtx or 9800gx2. it can't handle 2 9800gtx

Oh and don't get the q9300, get a q6600 instead, because the q9300 sucks with FSB Overclocking, you don't need 8gb yet...

maybe don't get the PC Power and Cooling 610... go with a 720TX from Corsair

Okay, thanks so much for all the advice. I changed a lot of stuff around based on suggestions from here and other sites.

I didn't even realize that the video card was actually two, so I scrapped that and I chose a pair of 9600GT's instead. Good idea? Bad idea? Okay idea?

I have everything set except I could use a suggestion for a motherboard for eventual Tri-SLI and DDR3.

Here's everything I have, from newegg now. Feel free to bash any of my choices.

Wishlist

You're 9800gx2 is better, but don't get the 1gb 9600gt, because it actually reduces performance in games because of the cap of a 256bit Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom