3870 bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont think it would be psu related. it wouldn't "slow it down" i wouldn't think. it would artifact and lock up before you saw a decrease in performance.
sure sounds like drivers to me. don't use the newest drivers, go back a couple sets and use those, use some established drivers if you can find them (i'm not up on AMD's card drivers, because i dislike ATI cards, no offense).
i'm going with card drivers or cpu could be overclocked a bit. i dont think the overclock you will get out of a 185 will be much, maybe 400mhz if that much, so you really aren't going to see any giant improvement. plus, a 2.6ghz dual core opty is plenty good enough to run those games you listed in high detail with a good card.
i am wagering on the card drivers...or some other firmware/software issue. i am almost certain that it isn't the cpu, and even more certain that it isn't the psu.

Sorry about the PSU thing, ignore that.

I've been posting to so many builds i got confused with another thread and just checked your psu on newegg and saw that it wasn't the best.

Is your computer dusty at all? May give it a clean, my first thread he was on my computers slowing performance in games and it turned out to be the huge clumps of dust in my cpu.

ok well I should have some free time this weekend so I should be able to play with the drivers more, and I'll try the Rivatuner suggestion. thanks for all the replys. I know my puter isn't dusty or anything cause I just took the air compressor to it the other day and got all the dust and stuff outta it.

I got a 3870 earlier this year for my Opteron Dual Core 170. I am still on DDR on my current motherboard. I am currently extremely happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom