New gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalice

Solid State Member
Hi,
This is my first time posting, but have been reading these forums for a while. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice/confirm if the choices I have made will work out for a new gaming rig. Honestly I am mainly building this computer for "Age of Conan" but I also play other various games on the computer. I am looking to pay around $1000 (after rebates) or less on the following parts (less is better but i don't wanna cheat my self). Only thing i have not picked out yet would be the motherboard.

These are the parts i have currently from my old rig
PSU-
Newegg.com - ENERMAX EG495AX-VE FMA ATX12V Ver 2.2 485W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, TUV, CB - Power Supplies

Thermaltake XaserIII Case

HDD -
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Monitor - 19 inc LCD

I am looking to buy the rest of the core parts, these are the ones i have partially decided upon so far.

CPU-
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

GPU - This is one I was unsure on. The price of this card would most likely put me a little over $1000 but if its only a little i am fine if this card is worth it. I read that this card should last for quite a while down the road. If it will run with my current PSU is another thing that i am unsure about. I was also looking into a regular GTX, and trying to decide if i could get away with that for now and then if i need to pick up another and SLI them later down the road, but don't know if that will be better or worse in the long run
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Ram - This is another one i was unsure on, i read a couple different post and found different points of view as to type and brand.
Newegg.com - OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Motherboard - This one I will need some advice on for sure.

Feel free to shoot me down on any of these choices. I know my knowledge is limited, thats why i am asking for help :D . Thanks in advance for any responses. Trying to make a system that will last me for a while(years if possible). My last computer lasted me about 4 years.

I would get a 500 watt thermaltake. Also if you go 10k rpm I would go a step up in space. 36gb will fill up fast even if it is only game files.

Well I already have the 10k hard drive, it was from my last computer. As for the PSU, I thought it might not be strong enough thanks for confirming it before i placed my order. As for the pair of 9600GT's, what would be a good MB to have for those and the core 2 Duo that was suggested? Thanks again for the reply and advice.

Thanks for more info. I like the idea of the single 9800gtx, I have never messed with SLI before so I don't know how well it will turn out and if two 9600gt's will be better than the single 9800gtx for Age of Conan. Plus single card would be less hassle I would think :D . Thanks again for the input.

Also what is the real difference between
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N845-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) KO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
and
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
that would make it worth the increase in price? They almost look identical to me.

I wouldn't bother with the 9800GTX.

The PC P&P psu is pretty good, as is the Q6600 obviously.

Two 9600s would be MUCH faster than a 9800GTX, or you could just buy a single 8800GTS 512mb as below, which should play age of conan no problem.
Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
170 after rebate! Amazing price for this kind of power.

And if you decide to go single card I would grab a X38/X48 board like a P5E or DFI Dark

I wouldn't bother with the 9800GTX.

The PC P&P psu is pretty good, as is the Q6600 obviously.

Two 9600s would be MUCH faster than a 9800GTX, or you could just buy a single 8800GTS 512mb as below, which should play age of conan no problem.
Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
170 after rebate! Amazing price for this kind of power.

And if you decide to go single card I would grab a X38/X48 board like a P5E or DFI Dark

some good words.

but if you go single card and plan on NEVER SLI'ing, i'd just pick up a like $90 board that has 1 PCI-E slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom