Remote Tech Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_ninja2k

Baseband Member
Okay, here is my situation.

I, like may of you I'm sure, always get wrangled into doing family tech support. My Grandmother is *JUST* getting into email and barely knows how to handle it. My mother's base of knowledge is limited exclusively to checking her email, editing her netflix movie list and select other very simple Internet activities (it took me a week of repeated example to teach her how to upload pictures from her digital camera). And then there's my little brother. Don't get me wrong, he knows all kinds of stuff about email, games and Internet trolling but nothing useful.

The major problem here is that my family lives in Kentucky. I, since getting married, however live in the Niagara region of Canada. Obviously I can't sit down at the machine to work on it is out of the question and trying to explain some of this stuff to my family makes them regard me like I'm speaking Plutonian or something.

As an added complication all of my machines (custom built Desktop and an Insperon Laptop from Dell) run XP and my mom was unlucky enough to order a Dell desktop with Vista as the only option as the OS.

So, here's my conundrum. I need a remote desktop program that is cross platform and incredibly easy to use as I've never messed with one of these programs before. Also, and here's a big thing, I need it to be free.

any suggestions?

You can always use Remote Desktop, or try setting up UltraVNC for them. Then all they have to do is double-click an icon and they can connect to you (I know there's a way to do this with UVNC, just havent got it set up to try for myself).

Thanks. UltraVNC looks great. Just finished the dowload and took a look.

I especially like that it can be run by either installing it on the machine or not. I tend to keep many of my tech support programs on a 2 gb thumb drive and run them from there rather than opting to install them.

Again, thank you and from what I can tell so far this appears to be exactly what I was looking for.

Meeting Place (or something like that will work too, all the end user has to do is allow control and follow directions.

edited b/c vista is... well .... you know.

I like logmein

it's available wherever you have internet, dont have to worry about firewalls and its compatible with vista and mac's too. :)

and it's free :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom