screen is black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekgnr

Baseband Member
Ok this is what happened. I was surfing along then all of sudden my computer froze so I restarted and everything was fine then after awhile it froze again. I restarted again but this time it just stayed on a black screen. My monitor light goes to orange when this happens. If I shut the monitor off then on, it goes to green then a message comes up saying off in 5 sec. then it goes back to orange. So it just stays on the black screen and I can't get into windows or safe mode or BIOS. Also I have the speakers on and it says this "system failed (pc impact) <--it sounds like it says that but it's hard to understand. So what could the problem be?

I'm using windows xp
AMD athlon 64 3200+
Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt

Well since you can not get into Safe Mode or anything then i would think it would be hardware related. How is your PSU. Run MemTest86.

Memtest86 - Download Page

Let that run for at least 4 hours to test your RAM. Then run this:

.StressLinux.org. - .System.High.Load.Test.

That will test the CPU. That way you can eliminate those 2. If you cant do any of this. I think your Mobo might be fried. Moved to Hardware since it isnt Windows related cause of the no access to the BIOS.

Could try clearing CMOS maybe. Have you tried a different monitor, or a different video card if possible? Is there integrated video on the motherboard? Try that if there is, rather than using the card.

How do I clear the CMOS? And what will that do?

I don't have integrated graphics but I do have an older video card on the computer I'm using now. My computer is using pci-e while this one uses pci.

To reset the CMOS just take out the small silver button battery from the motherboard. Leave it out for about 15 minutes and then pop it back in and start up your computer.

It resets your CMOS to it's default settings in case something got messed up when your computer started freezing.

You'll also want to unplug yoru computer from the wall outlet, and then press the power button (with the computer still unplugged) once or twice; that'll get rid of any built-up power still in the PSU. AFter you do that, then pull out the silver button battery that's on your motherboard. Like cvb said, it'll just clear your CMOS (BIOS) settings in case anything happened to get changed or messed up somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom