laptop questions/problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
i have a Dell inspiron 5100 and it broke a few days ago, its off warenty and it just randomly stoped working. but it starts to turn on, but nothing on the screan, but the CAP locks botton flashes a few times. then it shuts down and thats about all it does.

anyone know why it does this?
is it worth getting it repaired or should i get a new one?
would i be able to put my hard drive into my friends laptop and retreave all my data?

thanks

Well is the battery dead? Does it work when plugged into a outlet?

Could be a lot of things, I'm thinking either power or motherboard issue. Repair costs can be high but you might be able to do it yourself. First thing is to figure out exactly what is wrong. So I'm assuming it does this plugged in and on battery power? Do you have a spare a/c adapter you can try? Try running out to the store, buying a generic one, and then returning it if it doesn't fix your problem.

As for getting your data off, yeah you're fine. If your hd is IDE, you just need a cheap 2.5" ide top 3.5" ide adapter. If it's sata I believe it's a universal connection so just run a sata cable to the drive and you're good.

Well is the battery dead? Does it work when plugged into a outlet?

it does this pluged in and unpluged

Could be a lot of things, I'm thinking either power or motherboard issue. Repair costs can be high but you might be able to do it yourself. First thing is to figure out exactly what is wrong. So I'm assuming it does this plugged in and on battery power? Do you have a spare a/c adapter you can try? Try running out to the store, buying a generic one, and then returning it if it doesn't fix your problem.

As for getting your data off, yeah you're fine. If your hd is IDE, you just need a cheap 2.5" ide top 3.5" ide adapter. If it's sata I believe it's a universal connection so just run a sata cable to the drive and you're good.

well since its so old i dont think i am going to get it repaired, but i will do what you sujested for getting the info off, thanks

how can i easyly figure out what kind of hard drive it it? IDE or SATA? if it does not turn on?

Open the HDD bay up, take the drive out, and physically look a the drive. That'll be your easiest way.

Yeah, you don't need another laptop to recover data with. Take the drive out, if it's IDE (has two rows of pins in a rectangular connector), then you can get a laptop to desktop IDE connector to use your drive in your desktop. If it's SATA, it should be universal so you can just plug it in your desktop.

Yeah, you don't need another laptop to recover data with. Take the drive out, if it's IDE (has two rows of pins in a rectangular connector), then you can get a laptop to desktop IDE connector to use your drive in your desktop. If it's SATA, it should be universal so you can just plug it in your desktop.

alright sounds good

thanks eveyone

i know this is an old post, but i finaly have some time to work on this. the hard drive DOES NOT have two rows of pins. ill post of some pics for what it looks like soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom