Advice on OCing an Opteron 170 (my first ever OC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would underclock the ram some more until you can make it run at 1T command rate. then see how high the ram will run at that rate. then up the processor speed as high as possible.
1T command rate with slower ram speed and slightly lower overclock'd cpu will be better than 2T command rate, slightly faster ram speed, and higher oc'd cpu.
for example, if you can make your ram run 1T @ 150-175 mhz, it will run better (and faster) than 2T @ 220+mhz. the lower command rate setting makes a BIG difference. more than a few mhz on ram speed and a couple hundred on cpu speed.

i would underclock the ram some more until you can make it run at 1T command rate. then see how high the ram will run at that rate. then up the processor speed as high as possible.
1T command rate with slower ram speed and slightly lower overclock'd cpu will be better than 2T command rate, slightly faster ram speed, and higher oc'd cpu.
for example, if you can make your ram run 1T @ 150-175 mhz, it will run better (and faster) than 2T @ 220+mhz. the lower command rate setting makes a BIG difference. more than a few mhz on ram speed and a couple hundred on cpu speed.

OK I understand all of that apart from what 1T and 2T refers to.

it refers to the command rate for your memory.
thats how long it takes for the initial memory fetch to occur....one clock cycle (1T) or two clock cycles (2T).
memory modules will vary greatly in their ability to overclock with a 1T command rate. many will not even be able to run stock speeds.
it is my own opinion thru benchmarks that makes me say there is a big difference. lol...it might not be such a big one to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom