Is there any way to get more volume when playing DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I travel a lot by air and I like to watch DVD and listen through a set of earphones on my new Systemax (Windows XP) laptop. Even if I turn the volume up as loud as it will go, I still can't hear the dialog and I have to turn on the subtitles.

My last laptop was a Compaq with Vista and the DVD program that was factory loaded had an audio "boost" feature that made it nice and loud. I miss this feature because I really prefer to hear the dialog and not have to read it.

Is there anything that I can do to get more volume out of this machine?

There is no way to get any more volume out of my DVD players? I can't hear the DVDs that I play over the aircraft noise and I have to read the subtitles :( . Not the end of the world but I sure would rather hear the movies.

I think Winamp may have a add-on that can do this...you could try using that.

No problem. Like I said, I think there may be an add-on you can get for it, but I'm not sure (I don't use Winamp, heh). Can try looking on google and/or their website for it, though. They have tons of add-ons for it.

I may have to look on Google. I've downloaded Winamp but so far, I haven't even been able to get it to play the DVD that I put in. I can't get it to play any of my video files I've got saved on the HD either. I'll try working with it some more later.

You'll probably need to download codecs. Google for K-Lite Codec pack; it'll have all the codes you'll need =).

VLC can be adjusted to 200% volume. We use it on my girlfriends laptop when we watch movies, because her speakers aren't that loud.

Are you ok with dropping some cash? You can get a small usb powered external sound card that will give you tons more volume and sound quality.

A cheaper alternative is a battery powered headphone amp, those run around $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom