Need some help with choosing hardware for my new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

therider

Solid State Member
Hello all,

I stumbled upon these forums while browsing the web trying to decide what build I want for my new PC.

Hopefully you guys can help me figure out what parts I need to achieve the best performance.

The PC is going to be mainly for games, and I want it to be Intel and GeForce based, rather than AMD-ATI

The basics are:
1. A reliable motherboard that supports all the features I need (I was thinking Gigabyte).
2. 4GB RAM - I'm a bit confused about DDR2 and DDR3, and MHz etc, also not sure which brand I should go for.
3. 3D Card - my biggest problem. Should I go for 2 8800 GTS in SLI or the 9800GX2? I was told that I could later add another 9800GX2 in SLI when I feel it's needed, is that true?
4. 750GB HDD (WD or Maxtor).
5. PSU - how many Watts will I need to support this machine?
6. Case - There are just too many brands and shapes out there, and I'm completely confused about that. I'm looking for a Tower, and I want it to be cool, because I'll probably use the rig for LAN parties (windows, fans, leds, etc), and I'd like an LCD display which gives me temp etc.

If anyone could post a full list of hardware that meets my needs, it would be much appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention of course a CPU - Dual Core, Quad Core, Core 2, what's the difference and which would be best for my PC?
And also I want to buy a 22" LCD monitor along with this comp, what monitors can you recommend?

Welcome to T-F!

It sounds like you have quite a high budget, so I'll spec you out a great gaming machine but still being reasonably frugal on the choices.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
82 after rebate

Newegg.com - Leadtek PX9800GX2 GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
489 after rebate

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Power Supplies
120 after rebate

Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 DC 8000:1 - LCD Monitors
280 after rebate

Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Keyboards

Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1600 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Total = $1873

Overclock to 3.4-3.6ghz and you have a top of the line rig right there....

For the video card I would go with this
Newegg.com - MSI N9800GTX-T2D512 GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This one of the fastest single GPU on market, and it will play almost all games on Max setting.

And it is $230 cheaper than 9800GX2, and you are going to play only at 1680 x 1050, and at that resolution I think 9800GTX is more than enough........

Also, for a little more you can get Q6700
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

It comes with a free game, and it has 0.26GHz higher clock at stock speeds

Thanks a lot for this build, Gurusan, it looks nice.

A few questions, though:
1. Regarding the Graphics Card - will I be able to add a 2nd PX9800GX2 in the future? Will my performance benefit from adding a 2nd one?
2. Regarding the Motherboard - I'm not familiar with DFI brand, how good is it compared to Gigabyte? And as a follow-up to my previous question - will it support a 2nd PX9800GX2 in the future?
3. What other cooling features do you recommend I get this for this rig? I live in a very hot country so I'm very worried about frying my expensive comp :)
4. I don't like the case so much, it's not fancy and stylish enough. As I said, I'll be using the computer for LAN parties and I want all my buddies to go "wow, wtf is that awesome rig?!".

Maroon1,

The card you linked is 512MB, 256-bit and the card that Gurusan linked is 1GB, 512-bit.

How big a difference does it actually make?

Please keep in mind that I'll be running Crysis, Bioshock, Gears of War, and whatever cool new games come out, and I'm not planning to get a new rig after this one for at least 3-4 years, so I don't mind spending big on this one.

1. Regarding the Graphics Card - will I be able to add a 2nd PX9800GX2 in the future? Will my performance benefit from adding a 2nd one?

No, the motherboard is not SLI compatible, but the 9800GX2 is composed of 2 8800GTS 512mb cards, SLI bridged internally. It's the fastest card out at the moment and will be a top player for some time to come.

2. Regarding the Motherboard - I'm not familiar with DFI brand, how good is it compared to Gigabyte? And as a follow-up to my previous question - will it support a 2nd PX9800GX2 in the future?

DFI is a great brand, better than gigabyte in my opinion. If you are overclocking its a far better board too....also if you are concerned about looks the DFI looks WAY better than the gigabyte :p See question 1 regarding SLI.

3. What other cooling features do you recommend I get this for this rig? I live in a very hot country so I'm very worried about frying my expensive comp
The Xigmatek is pretty much the best cooler out for the money, it's only slightly less effective than the Thermalright Ultra-120 with a good 120mm fan, but after purchasing the heatsink and fan you will most likely be a good 60-80 in the hole. Watercooling is another option but if you plan on hauling your rig around to LAN parties I wouldn't recommend this as it restricts mobility.

4. I don't like the case so much, it's not fancy and stylish enough. As I said, I'll be using the computer for LAN parties and I want all my buddies to go "wow, wtf is that awesome rig?!".

Not stylish enough.....here are some other options then, highest to lowest price:

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ10-BW Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE TJ09-BW Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 RC-810-KKA1-GP Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case RS-850-EMBA 850W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition VA8004BWS Black 1.0mm SECC Chassis/ Aluminum Front Bezel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJS Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Kublai Series KL02B-W Black Aluminum front panel, SECC body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

There are lots of cases out there, and it's really a personal choice as to what you want, so just use google or something to look for cases.

The card you linked is 512MB, 256-bit and the card that Gurusan linked is 1GB, 512-bit.

The card he linked is basically identical to the 9800GX2, but the 9800GX2 has 2 of them slapped together, so it's almost twice as powerful. The 9800GTX is a good deal cheaper, in fact the 8800GTS 512mb is even cheaper (the same card just different name basically with sligthly lower clocks)...and they can handle all the latest games no problem....but the 9800GX2 will last longer due to how much power is under the hood.

yes, you can add another 9800gx2 in the future whenever you want... if you are going that route I would suggest a bigger psu.. Ive got the rosewill 950 watt which has plenty of connections like 2X6 pin and 2X8 pin video card connectors for the 9800 gx2. Ive heard lots of good things about the dfi lanparty mobo gurusan suggested, but I went with the evga 750i FTW and Im loving it. The q6600 also is a great cpu. Got mine OC'ed to 3.6 with just a little bumb in voltage to the processor. Great memory to.

yes, you can add another 9800gx2 in the future whenever you want...

No, the motherboard is not SLI compatible

So which answer is correct? will or won't I be able to add another 9800GX2 in the future?

And sorry for double-posting, I used the quick-reply feature, and didn't see that Maroon has replied to my original message.

Edit: Gurusan, I really like the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX you linked, and I have a small question about it - will I be able to add some kind of LCD display on the front of it that displays CPU temp, etc? If the answer is yes, how exactly do I install that kind of display?

you won't be able to add another 9800GX2 unless you get a SLI motherboard (something with the Nvidia chipset, the one I linked to is the X48 Intel chipset).

It's my opinion that currently Intel chipsets are much better than nvidia chipsets....also Quad-SLI is a bit much....when games come out that start to really kill the 9800GX2 (this won't happen for awhile), then you're better off selling it on ebay or something and buying a next-gen card.

oh sorry about the sli lol missed that part of the board chipset... just noticed two pci-e 2.0 slots my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom