Serious Problem Concerning CD/DVD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_ninja2k

Baseband Member
I built my system a little less than three years ago and it's stood up very well. No major problems, or at least none that couldn't be over looked. I have two drives installed, one is a DVD-Rom/CD-Rom/CD-R/RW and the second is a DVD/CD Combo drive that reads and writes.

Not long after building the system I went to install a disc in the first drive and somehow as the drive was closing the disc got caught and the drive has never opened or closed properly since. This wasn't a major issue until last week as I simply used the second drive for everything.

Last week the 420 watt power supply that came with the case died. I turned off the computer for the night and when I went to turn it back on the next morning it wouldn't come on. I pressed the button several times, checked all the cords and pressed the button again. The system tried to start and stuttered out, cluing me in as to the demise of the power supply. I went the very same day, bought and installed a brand new 500 watt power supply and the system has been running great ever since.

The only problem is that now neither of my drives will open. When you press the buttons they sit there and blink at me, whirl like they're trying to open, make a clicking sound, blink for a few more seconds and then just sit there. I know that you can open the drives by pushing a paper clip into the ejection slot, but I'm looking for a better, more permanent solution as the tower is under the desk and can be difficult to get to.

As I stated, I built the system myself so I'm not a total newb. If it requires me to take the drives apart and monkey with the internal workings that is an option I'm willing to consider. If I can get both drives working again that would be great, but if not I really need my combo drive back up as I use it often for burning CD's and DVD's.

Any suggestions?

RMA the drives if they are still in warranty, if not, your out of luck, buy new drives.

if there are any disks within the drives you will have to force them open.

The problem with the drives is more physical than software or firmware, they have given you problems before the PSU died, and they will only continue to give you problems..

Firmware changes/updates or driver changes will, in all likelyhood not fix your problems.

If you feel ambitious you can try taking the drives apart and "screw" around with the insides, then put it back together and see if it works.

Only the one drive has given me trouble from day one. The other, the DVD/CD Combo drive has never given me even the slightest hint of trouble until the PSU died. Actually it's been one of the best burners I've ever owned. Seriously contemplating going with an LG for the next one.

Anyway, just checking newegg.com (absolutely love that site) and they have new ones on for decently cheap. Been a while since I had to price one, hard to believe you can get a drive for almost the same price as a 100x spindle of DVD's now.

Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom