Quad-Core Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are what I have now - they get freakin' hot. Ive read reviews about the heat spreaders coming loose and I can see it on mine - the way the clips hold the heat spreaders on, it pulls away near the pins and pulls together near the top, so about half the chip has a good connection with the thermal pad. I took the clips off so hopefully the spreaders stay on all the way, but that seems like bad design to me. And that's running stock clocks, I cant imagine if I was overclocking like mad.

Anyways, it should be easier to overclock 2x2gb sticks than 4x1gb sticks, correct?

Those sticks will overclock better than basically anything else.

And yes they get hot.

I have a limited edition version of them and I use that ocz mem cooler to keep them in line.

4xgb will overclock better prodided you get good chips. I.e. D9's

4x1gb stresses the memory controller quite a lot and can potentially limit your FSB.

2x2gb setups are better for overclocking, I would grab the OCZ ReaperX

^^ Thats what I thought. I'd always figured that having two chips would minimize the chance that there would be differences in the chips, vs having four sticks and there being more of a difference, if that makes sense. Plus I like the idea of raised heatsinks on the ReaperX's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom