XPS finally crashed on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
I have a XPS M1710 (see specs below). The other day I fired her up and too my suprise, the computer was running very slow. The taskmanager showed that 30% cpu usage was being utilized when no programs were running. Having internet explorer bumped the percentage up to 65. This has never happened before, I constanly keep my machine clean and defraged. After a few minutes of being on, the screen scrambles and computer locks up on me. Check this link, this is exatly what my screen looks like when the scrambling happens, even though the pic is of an ipod.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/Brownsound87/DSC05116.jpg

For the few minutes of run time I have, I monitor the heat levels. Temps are normal, except on one occasion when the cpu temp jumped to well over 100F (not sure of an exact temp). I am leaning toward faulty video card. Any sugguestions?

First do a virus scan, very probable that the whole slowdown/30% is being caused by a virus.
I'm guessing graphics card might also be overheating, so check the temps on that (either with a program, or, as it's probably pretty hot, you could just test it by touch just DONT static it). Also try and get an accurate read of your cpu temps (highest temp, does it stay high for long? etc.)

it sounds more like your cpu. if your cpu is going out the door it would make sense that the cpu usage would go up without a noticable cause.

download and run orthos/OCCT/prime95 and see if they pop up with any issues.

Took it apart a few hours ago. The only problem I could see was a ton of dust caked on the cooling appartus for the cpu. After cleaning it throughly and putting everything back together, I fired her up. Once again I monitored temps while simultaneously watching CPU usage. The cpu never went over 25C/77F and gpu over 55C/122F but as before, the cpu usage skyrocketed in a matter of 10 minutes. I have posted an actual pic of the scrambled screen. Mind the background, I took the picture in a tent in Africa.

Image of Scrambled Screen - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Whenever that's happened to me it's always been that the gpu temps were over 9000 degrees, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. It could be like Peter said, that your cpu is slightly fried and is throwing up lots of errors. Run the programs he recommended, and post back.
oh, have you done a virus scan yet? Do one just so I can rule it out :)

I tried running some of these programs but the computer freezes up on me before they can finish.

Found out that this same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was under warrentee so he sent it back to dell. Their tech's indentified it as a bad video card and installed him a new one. Seeing as I don't have a way of diagnosing the problem and it worked for him, I am just going to go this route. Anyone know where I can find a Go 7900GTX? I saw a couple on ebay the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom