Moving from AMD 3600+ to AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the "cruddy stock" one, and kingston value ram, appears I will have to upgrade those.

Thanks about the BOIS information.

Good price on that ram.

I just did that exact same upgrade this week, i had the 3600+ running at 3ghz and now i have the 5000+ which is running at 3.26ghz. Might be able to squeeze a little more out of it but i need to play with different multiplier combos still.

If you're looking for a good cooler for cheap I got the AC freezer 64. Great little guy and is keeping my oc going nice and cool.

As for RAM, NCIX had 2GB of Crucial ballistix for $14.99 yesterday but they sold out at that price and at $19.99 as well.

What type of increase did you see?

I have yet to overclock mine, so I could get a boost with just doing that alone. (with a better cooler)

I will look into that cooler.

I have the "cruddy stock" one, and kingston value ram, appears I will have to upgrade those.

Thanks about the BOIS information.

Good price on that ram.

you should wait for a bit, see if you x2 3600+ clocks well, by waiting for a bit buy getting RAM and the CPU Cooler, then when you get more cash, pick up the 5000+ BE

my 5000 clocks approximately 3-400mhz higher than my 3600 would. not a tremendous difference, but higher in any event. it does higher clocks (than the 3600) on stock voltage if you choose to overclock it in that fashion (ie raising the multiplier instead of the external clock).

You should wait for a bit, see if you x2 3600+ clocks well, by waiting for a bit buy getting RAM and the CPU Cooler, then when you get more cash, pick up the 5000+ BE

I will do that for now and buy another CPU when I am ready to build the other system, I have avoided overclocking because of ram and cooling.

Make sure you motherboard and take the newer CPU.
You might need to update your BIOS. Do this before you change your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom