PC crash 30sec after game shutdown? makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

keba

In Runtime
Hi all
I have been playing some of those free MMORPG's and for some reason my PC crashes sometimes after the game has been shut down. I can mention this has happened with GunZ and Exteel.

I can't logically find any reason why this should happen. If some components was to overheat, it would crash in-game, and there is nothing wrong with playing COD4, Portal or War3TFT.

All those games that crash, are pretty low quality, so maybe it could be caused by a faulty game-engine, that was having trouble with my hardware? But if that was true, then why all 3 games? Anyone have an idea?

My specs are:
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR MS-7253
Rams: 3 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
CPU: 2,20 gHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

Download and burn Memtest86 to a disc (if you don't have an ISO burning program, google for Imgburn; its a freeware ISO burning program). Boot off of the disc, and run it overnight (4hrs minimum recommended). Let us know if there are any errors.

Also, do you get a BSOD? Do this to disable system restart on crash:
Start > Right click 'My Computer' > Properties > Advanced tab > Under 'Startup and Recovery' click Settings > Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" under the 'System Failure' section. Click OK on all the dialog boxes to exit them.

Let us know the words in all caps at the top of the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), as well as the STOP error code, which is in the following format:
0x000000##, where ## = letters and/or digits.

So you suspect its my ram? They are Kingston value ram, so maybe... Will run the test and check if I find anything. I did run this once, but only for 45 minutes or so. Also, tomorrow I will try to recreate the error and see if i get a BSOD, but the crash doesn't seem to happen every time i play, but will try. Its 4.15am here, so i'm going to bed now.
Thanks for responding carnageX ^^

Well this will either rule out your RAM, or confirm that its your RAM, so no hurt in trying =). Also, what are your temps when you're playing? Have you cleaned the dust out of the fans recently? You could try doing that as well, just in case its dust causing high temps.

No problem, glad to help.

Hi just woke up.
The ram-test returned:

Walltime: 11.09.59
Cached: 3071M
Rsvdmem: 276M
Memmap: e820-std
Cache: on
ECC: off
Test: std
Pass: 7
Errors: 0
ECC errors: -

So I guess no ram errors.
I also managed to recreate the error, and I did get a BSOD as you said with the info:

stop 0x000000CE (0xB4B0AB1B, 0x00000008, 0xB4B0AB1B, 0x00000000)
DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
dump_wmimmc.sys

How do i fix this? Is i my PC that has an error, or is it the games that are acting up with my software?
EDIT: msdn said "This driver failed to cancel lookaside lists, DPCs, worker threads, or other such items before unload."

Hi just woke up.
The ram-test returned:

Walltime: 11.09.59
Cached: 3071M
Rsvdmem: 276M
Memmap: e820-std
Cache: on
ECC: off
Test: std
Pass: 7
Errors: 0
ECC errors: -

So I guess no ram errors.
I also managed to recreate the error, and I did get a BSOD as you said with the info:

stop 0x000000CE (0xB4B0AB1B, 0x00000008, 0xB4B0AB1B, 0x00000000)
DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS
dump_wmimmc.sys

How do i fix this? Is i my PC that has an error, or is it the games that are acting up with my software?
EDIT: msdn said "This driver failed to cancel lookaside lists, DPCs, worker threads, or other such items before unload."

Well, I looked up the error code, and it sounds to me like driver errors. Are all of your drivers up to date? Try reinstalling them, including your graphics drivers. Use DriverCleanerPro to remove the graphics drivers, and then reinstall them from nVidia's site (the most updated ones). Make sure all the other ones are up to date as well.

Hi again, sorry for the delay.
It seems everything is up to date, except i have IE6 instead of IE7, as that sucks. I normally use firefox, but anyway..
I uninstalled my NVIDIA drivers, used the tool you suggested, and removed all those leftover files, and restarted a couple of times. I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers, but the problem is still there.
There might be a driver somewhere that I haven't updated, but it seems i checked everything. Also, I installed the stable NVIDIA driver, but I guess I could try the beta and see what happens. I just wish there was a way to trace which driver was acting up.
I read somewhere that this problem could be caused by a programming error, where the program would fail to catch a certain error, that would be stored somewhere without being removed or something, and then when another error would occur, the pc would get a BSOD. I found this site from 2006 where people were having the same problems with maple story. I'm not done reading yet, but it seems nProtects GameGuard is the villain.
2 Blue screens of death [Archive] - Virtual Dr Forums-Computer Tech Support

A driver that is being used by the game is not being unloaded. Be it a game controller or something else like a game hack or something that is causing this. You cais you can only mention 2 games so i am guessing that there is some other stuff you have running that is causing this.

Well, maybe that is true, as none of my friends have this issue. Google was not a big help either, and if this really was GameGuard acting up, why doesn't any other people have the problem?
GameGuard is used by both those games, and from what I could understand from the other thread, this is somehow happens when something on the computer interacts with GameGuard.
I can assure you I don't cheat, although I do use an autoclicker in war3tft once in a while.
So what is left to do, is find out what driver is doing this, and find an alternative driver, or something, to replace the driver.

Have you made sure GameGuard is up to date? Maybe there's some kind of patch for it on the games' sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom