Quad-Core Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, the Q6600 is $243.99 and the Q6700 is $299.99

If the Q6600 is better/easier/whatever to overclock, and its cheaper, why not?

So that just leaves one thing. Is software RAID decent? Or should I be trying to find a good overclocking board that has RAID-1? Or an add-in card? Or, by chance, does the P5E have RAID?

"- Intel Matrix Storage Technology supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10" I'd assume thats a yes to Hardware RAID?

aspire, what do you think of the CM590? Judging by the way the top is laid out, it looks like it would be pretty easy to internalize a dual-fan radiator (rad inside, fans on the outside if you had to):
1010.jpg

Here, the Q6600 is $243.99 and the Q6700 is $299.99

If the Q6600 is better/easier/whatever to overclock, and its cheaper, why not?

So that just leaves one thing. Is software RAID decent? Or should I be trying to find a good overclocking board that has RAID-1? Or an add-in card? Or, by chance, does the P5E have RAID?

"- Intel Matrix Storage Technology supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10" I'd assume thats a yes to Hardware RAID?

actually q6700 is better/easier to overclock with, but since its only a has a Multiplier increase by x1 then the extra $56 dollars

aspire, what do you think of the CM590? Judging by the way the top is laid out, it looks like it would be pretty easy to internalize a dual-fan radiator (rad inside, fans on the outside if you had to):
1010.jpg

True, just know that when it comes down to it, its a budget case.
Things can get tight near the top with the radiator there, make sure you have clearance against any tall heatsinks of the such at he top of your mobo.

Budget case sure, but I dont want to / cant afford to spend $200-300 on a case, when I can get something that looks just as good (to me) and does the same thing for cheaper (hence overclocking - why buy a QX9750 for $1400 when I can buy a $250 chip and push it to 3.6GHz ;) )

So other than the fact that it's a "budget" case, and assuming I dont have any tall heatsinks on the P5E (wouldnt assume that any it does have are outrageously tall), from a watercooling guru's point of view, its a decent case? I just like the idea of being able to mount a rad on top without having to resort to cutting huge holes in the top (although Id consider cutting out the mesh if I put the fans on the outside for better airflow).

So so far the build is:

Cooler Master 590
LG GH20NS10 SATA DVD-Writer
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
WD 1TB SATA 16MB Cache
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA NCQ 500GB 32MB Cache
Asus P5E
Corsair TX750W 750W
ECS N8800GTS-512MX from Newegg that aspire is going to buy & ship to me
G.SKILL Pi PC2-8000 2x2GB

Can anyone recommend a cheap cooler that I can overclock decently with until I watercool? I've heard good things about Scythe coolers - is the Orochi any good? Trying to pick something from the same store that Im buying the rest of the computer from, and they dont stock thermalright. What they do have:
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

EDIT Xigmatek Intel LGA775 Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - HDT-S1283 FrostyTech Review
And this one is available where I plan on shopping (probably have to have it ordered in tho as no one has it currently in stock). Looks like a great heatsink for $36!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom