Changing location of Shared Video, Pictures, Music folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I have a Windows Vista SP1 Business Edition machine. It does not have Media Center. I also have an X-Box 360 Elite that I just bought.

My Vista machine has two hard drives. The C Drive(system partition) is solely for the OS and installed programs. I use my D Drive(Storage Drive) for every thing else, including, movies, music, pictures, etc. I do not have enough room on my C drive for this stuff and I do not like to have it on the same drive anyways.

My XBox will only recognize media that I have within "C:\Users\<UserName>".

From there I can access any media that I have saved in the Pictures, Videos, Music folders, etc. but I don't have anything there and I don't want it there as mentioned. Is there anyway in Vista that I can change the location of these folders(preferrably right to my D: drive) or some other way, as long as I can share all the media from my D Drive to my XBox.

While I'm thinking about it, will iTunes songs play on the XBox? I'm guessing not.

It's Microsoft!

X-Box360 is what? Microsoft!

Vista is what? Microsoft!

Apparently that's how the software was written to utiolize those sub folders under the primary or admin user account. A 3rd party gaming system's system's software on the other hand would have the specific folder(s) but on C being the host drive.

What you likely going to end up doing is simply using the MS defaults and simply backing things up on the other drive. Without the option to avoid the user account's sub folders and custom select others even on another drive you are kind of hung out to dry in that sense.

Right click on the user folder and go under properties. There you can change the location of a few of the folders being used.

eyePC...yoru comments were not needed or helpful in this situation. You know that this stuff can be done in XP therefor it can be done in Vista. Plesae do not instigate trouble.

how to change My Documents folder in Vista - Google Search

That link there is for all sorts of tutorials and guides on how to move the folders.

Right click on the user folder and go under properties. There you can change the location of a few of the folders being used.

eyePC...yoru comments were not needed or helpful in this situation. You know that this stuff can be done in XP therefor it can be done in Vista. Plesae do not instigate trouble.

how to change My Documents folder in Vista - Google Search

That link there is for all sorts of tutorials and guides on how to move the folders.

and vista give you more options on folders to change. with xp you could only change the location of my documents. with vista you can change my picture and my music to entirely different locations. you need tweak iu to do that with xp.

shortstop20

you can simply go into wmp11 and share other folders. you use to need media center or windows media connect 2.0 to access your computer with an xbox. wmp 11 automatically does it for you now. I don't use wmp11 so I can't tell you the exact steps to share those folders, but it's in the options somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom