Video Editing Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are just using windows movie maker sure, but if you have to encode an entire movie or something a quad core really is a must.

There is no question a quad core is better. I wouldn't be stupid enough to suggest that. What I'm saying is it really isn't a necessary upgrade basic video editting.

Not windows movie maker, either. If you are using Premiere or Avid a high powered dual core will do you fine. If you're using Maya or Lightwave, or heavy after effects, then sure, the rendering time will bug you alot...but just editting video? Standard wipes, scrolls, transitions, ect, are not going to take that long to render and won't need to be rendered very often.

Of course a quad core is better, but its not really necessary. The guy is asking for a cheap and easy upgrade and you are trying to tell him to build a brand new, very expensive, system.

It's not a new system at all. It's swapping out like 3 parts. And it's still within his price range if he sells the old parts. Plus, he isn't doing just basic video editing like you keep saying.
This rig is being handed down to my brother who is big into the arts and video production.

He is doing very arts related video and multimedia editing. And a high powered C2D would render just as fast, but is only $20 cheaper than a quad-core, and the quad will see further advancements in it's capabilities for many years. The dual-core just isn't logical if you want a cheap upgrade because it would not last as long and would require another upgrade sooner than you would with a quad.

End note: Get a quad. Dual-core = not as good and more expensive in the long run.

Okie doke. I was simply saying that I was referring to the high-end dual-core that Brinson was recommending and explaining why the quad is still better and why his current C2D would not be the most effective choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom