SLI 8800gt power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So looking to set up 8800gt SLI for my system but I have a power issue, there are 8 molex power connectors from the PSU and the galaxy 8800gt requires 4 each. If you're doing the math, so far no problem, but in the antec there are tons of fans, I've swaped them all out to 3pin supply but the top fan requires the molex. Now I have a number of single-->double molex splitters, if I use those for the card does that comprimise supply? Essentially I want to know if using the splitter on a single molex to the card will affect the juice its getting.

hrmm its odd that the card uses 4 molex connectors and not two PCIE 6 Pins.

anyways, use the molex splitters on fans and other devices and use the molex connectors comming directly from the PSU to the card.

According to the Galaxy website:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT requires:
PCI Express®-compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics slot
6-pin supplementary power connectors
Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)*

So I'm not sure why his requires 4pin molex.

Oh man, I can only imagine the added resistance..

I would just reccomend buying a power supply with the correct amount of connectors..

Ok, i'm a newb :p

lol, switched from the ocz to the corsair and for some sorry sleep deprived reason I thought these pcie's were 4 pin. Ok, so have one card running on the two 6pin suppliers and the other is on adapters as the psu only has 2, 6 pin suppliers, and each card requires 2, freakn power hungry buggers these 8800gt's.

Now my next problem is getting it to work, I see both cards detected in device manager but i don't think they are enabled as my 3Dmark06 score just decreased.

I tried going into nvidia control panel like all the help threads say but my control panel doesn't have the "Set SLI Configuration" option under 3D settings that seems to be the way to enable it. Any ideas or am i just being dumb again?

[edit]options i see:

"adjust image settings with preview" and "monitor temperature levels" if i switch to advanced mode i also get "manage 3d settings", "change overclocking configuration" and "monitor temperature levels" [/edit]

Ok, i'm a newb :p

lol, switched from the ocz to the corsair and for some sorry sleep deprived reason I thought these pcie's were 4 pin. Ok, so have one card running on the two 6pin suppliers and the other is on adapters as the psu only has 2, 6 pin suppliers, and each card requires 2, freakn power hungry buggers these 8800gt's.

Now my next problem is getting it to work, I see both cards detected in device manager but i don't think they are enabled as my 3Dmark06 score just decreased.

I tried going into nvidia control panel like all the help threads say but my control panel doesn't have the "Set SLI Configuration" option under 3D settings that seems to be the way to enable it. Any ideas or am i just being dumb again?

[edit]options i see:

"adjust image settings with preview" and "monitor temperature levels" if i switch to advanced mode i also get "manage 3d settings", "change overclocking configuration" and "monitor temperature levels" [/edit]

My EVGA 8800 gt's only require one 6 pin PCIe adapter each. I find it hard to believe yours requires 2 x 6 pins each. I'm thinking your confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom