I am boycotting Seagate (long sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
I will never, ever, ever buy another products from these pieces of crap again.

I have spent the last 10 hours working on my computer, a large majority of that time spent because they don't give a **** about the customer. I just got a 9800GTX and I was doing some wire management. I did all my dremeling, planning, and wiring from 5:00 to 8:00. And WOW, it is beautiful.

I even cut holes and put the HDD in reverse so no wires would show. It is now 2:30 in the morning and I get to take it all apart and ship the hard drive back to newegg.

What did Seagate do? Well. There first problem is they have no decency for their consumers. When you put a product into the hands of retailers KNOWING it doesn't work properly, you are being nowhere near ethical. This is mainly with the 750GB 7200.11 hard drive. The firmware does not work at all. Before I had my project today, I had the hard drive in my computer. I have owned it almost 2 weeks now. The firmware makes the cache SIGNIFICANTLY less than it is supposed to be (32MB). I was getting by, but it was extremely slow and HL2 and COD4 wouldn't load.

No biggy, when I do my new project I will just update the firmware. Contact Seagate, and OF COURSE they have to authorize my use of the firmware that works (supposedly). Why do I need authorization to update my firmware? Oh well.....after going through it with them for a week I finally am "allowed" to dl the firmware. Oh yeah, and they acted like it was a big surprise that the firmware was crap in the first place. Even though half the newegg reviews describe this exact same problem, and the other half of the people probably don't even know about it.

So, I spend those 3 hours doing my wire management project and I turn my ****-poor wire management Antec 900 into a thing of beauty. Fire it up.......................and............DISK BOOT FAILURE.

I have a thread about this in the Hardware Troubleshooting section. Anyways, the only thing I can do is wipe it clean and start over. So I lose all my data, and believe me I tried everything. Install Windows again.............and.............DISK BOOT FAILURE. Finally, after removing 1 stick of RAM (That is perfectly fine, maybe it had nothing to do with it but it worked after I did that) and leaving the CD and setting the Boot Priority a certain it decided to be friendly and load up Vista. Whewwww....I'm finally done with this mess.

I download my authorized ISO from Seagate, pop it in the tray, reboot................and nothing. Apparently their firmware update only works half the time.

So now it is going back, Seagate is going to receive one of the nastiest emails ever, and I am going to be without a computer for a week. YAY.

Yup, seagate makes good drives...but they when screw up, they really screw up. My hd was advertised as being a 7200.11 32mb drive, and guess what it was when i got it? 7200.10 8mb...i was thrilled (note the sarcasm) but you know what, i had a 4mb cache drive before, and it was ide so this drive was still faster wayyyy faster..so i left it be.

hm, ive used seagate for as long as i can remember without problems, but i've mever checked the cashe size rofl.

in fact im not even sure how to tell >.> I hope these are working up to specs, paid a lot of money for em ><

Yup, seagate makes good drives...but they when screw up, they really screw up. My hd was advertised as being a 7200.11 32mb drive, and guess what it was when i got it? 7200.10 8mb...i was thrilled (note the sarcasm) but you know what, i had a 4mb cache drive before, and it was ide so this drive was still faster wayyyy faster..so i left it be.

Well, I had my old 80GB Hitachi hooked up at the same time (8MB Cache) and it was MUCH faster than this one.

hm, ive used seagate for as long as i can remember without problems, but i've mever checked the cashe size rofl.

in fact im not even sure how to tell >.> I hope these are working up to specs, paid a lot of money for em ><

Every Seagate I have had has been terrible. I bought one for an Operating Systems class two years ago, probably spent more on my HDD than anyone else in that class, and I was always the last one done because of how long it took to format.

I am DONE DONE DONE with Seagate. To be honest, I have owned a few WD and Hitachi drives and none of them have ever went down on me or caused me any problems at all. My brother bought a Samsung recently and he is having Disk Boot Failure also.

WD and Hitachi = good
Seagate and Samsung = bad

And guess which ones are more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom