Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhughes

Beta member
I have a 4-yr-old Gateway desktop with a Celeron processor, a 10-gig hard drive, and Windows ME.

I did a system restore to when it was new, and now when I turn it on it begins to boot, gets to the Windows ME screen, but then freezes up with an Add New Hardware Wizard that says "Windows has found the following new hardware: Intell 82801AA SMBus Controller."

It asks if I would like to search for a better driver, but the mouse is locked in the center of the screen and the keyboard does nothing.

When I hit Tab as bootup starts, it goes to a screen showing settings and locks up. When I hit F1 as bootup starts, nothing happens (bootup ignores it and still goes to the Intell 82801AA screen and locks).

Thanks for any help,

Welcome to the forum Danhughes. I would strongly urge you to NOT post your e-mail address in this forum. There are trolls/spammers/general trouble makers that browse these forums and you advertising your e-mail address like that only invites trouble/ and SPAM. And it's not just particular to this forum only... it happens at many pc forums.

As for your computer problem, it sounds like it's asking for some sort of a sound controller/driver. Did you do any sort of an upgrade from the time you bought your PC? Did you add a new sound card? I would boot into safe mode and re-install the drivers for your sound card if you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom