If I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not think that through.

It copied my 100 gig partition to a new 100 gig partion on my 250 gig drive. Is there any way or program that will allow me to use the whole drive?

Partition Magic will do it. I thought Ghost gave that option as well.

I didn't use Ghost. I will try that now.

So, I have it, and my question is: Is a backup the same?? All it says are 'Recover My Computer' and 'Run or Manage Backups'.

Backup is not the same as ghost. You will need to Image it.

The reason why it wouldn't work to just copy it goes like this.

When you install Windows and apps and everything the PC knows on which sector and which part of the sector the information is on. Copying and pasting it to another drive will not give you the same sector and and part fo the sector for the OS to operate correctly. So when you go to do anything. Click on the start menu or run a applicaiton you will get a error cause the information it is looking for is not where it was located alst time.

So it will take the PC 2x or even 3x longer to work out simple tasks and you will come back saying that the machine is utter slow now with a new drive.

Does that expalin it better why you can not just copy and paste it?

With a Image you take basically a snap shot of the drive as it is and the Image will be placed on the new drive exactly as it is now. Which will not cause any issues with the operation of the system.

With a Image you take basically a snap shot of the drive as it is and the Image will be placed on the new drive exactly as it is now. Which will not cause any issues with the operation of the system.

Yup. Thanks.

Okay, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I have Partition Magic, and Norton Ghost. But I don't know what exactly I should do.

Backup is not the same as ghost. You will need to Image it.

The reason why it wouldn't work to just copy it goes like this.

When you install Windows and apps and everything the PC knows on which sector and which part of the sector the information is on. Copying and pasting it to another drive will not give you the same sector and and part fo the sector for the OS to operate correctly. So when you go to do anything. Click on the start menu or run a applicaiton you will get a error cause the information it is looking for is not where it was located alst time.

So it will take the PC 2x or even 3x longer to work out simple tasks and you will come back saying that the machine is utter slow now with a new drive.

Very nice explanation there, Mak.

Yup. Thanks.

Okay, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I have Partition Magic, and Norton Ghost. But I don't know what exactly I should do.
Which version of Ghost. Partition Magic is just a partitioner. So you would select the drive you want to partition and make the partitions the size you want. It has been a long time since i used PM and i really can not picture how to do it. I am sure there is info up on their site on how to do it.

As for Ghsot i have not used that since Version 9 and have no clue what they have done to it. There has to be some way to make a Image. You do not need it to be a progressive backup where you make up and update it regularly. You need to find the option to image. It should be there.

Maybe there is a tutorial or some images on the Symantec site as to how to do this.
Very nice explanation there, Mak.
Thank you. I figured it would be better to explain why a copy and paste wouldnt work. Plus it was asked. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom