router/firewall question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
I use a linksys rtp300 router which is connected to one of my computers. It offers NAT support. The question I have is do I have to set something up to use NAT option or does the router come setup that way and NAT is already in use?

Another question I have is it necessary to have both router/firewall with NAT support and a s/w firewall such as comodo? Or is it recommended to have both?

Thanks

NAT should be automatically enabled on the router. Can you connect to the router?

You'll want to make sure you're not running a double NAT... ex: modem/router

connect to devices and check to make sure the one closest to the ISP is running NAT... ex: modem runs nat --- will give your router it's IP address.. but if you turn off NAT on the modem your router will be lost... hope i didn't confuse you.

hope i didn't confuse you.
Unfortunately, you did. I have a dsl/router that is connected to my router/firewall which connects to my PCs.

How do I check if my setup is working correctly?

Can you connect to the router? What do you mean? I can access the net if that is what you are asking?

You'll want to make sure you're not running a double NAT... ex: modem/router. How do I check this?

thanks

By connecting he meens can you view its settings via your web browser?

192.168.1.1 is normally the IP address you need.

You need to set your modem as an ethernet bridge. you can do this by accessing its control page (192.168.1.1 or launchmodem) and looking for a radio button that has that option. once you do, you may have to release and renew you computer's IP, as well as reboot the modem, router, and PC. Once you're done, your router will be set as 192.168.1.1 and you will be able to forward your ports.

type ip config into the command line an use the default gateway as the ip address 192.168.1.1 is just the most common one.

Chris, my default gateway is 192.168.15.1. I got into the router using that address. What do I need to do now please?

Edit...every thing is set up correctly. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom