Problem occurred when plugging in floppy drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is HQ RAM. They call it Platinum Edition.

FRYS.com | OCZ

Yea, I have alot of programs and I usually install them on C: Not sure but I always thought they would access faster on C: ..

So if I part WinXP 250GB C: and storage 350GB D: That should be pretty efficient, right? Should I use WD format software or WinXP to do it? Is there anything I have to do to get 3.0 gb access spd to work on this HD? I saw you have to remove a jumper on Seagate HD's.

What if I kept 30GB for WinXP Pro alone then made 2 more parts for storage? That would be 3 parts. I guess it wouldn't be efficient would it?

Thanks

First you have to know the types and sizes of files while still leaving room on the primary for folders tucked aways from view. Not only are folders for various softwares found in the Program Files directory but take a look under your user name in the DocumentsandSettings directory and look in the Application Data and other sub folders. Installation logs, uninstall information, etc. are found there. That's how Windows apparently keeps track of things.

The first thing however you want to do is get familiar with a good partitioning tool not just the Windows installer for being able to alter the one or more you decide on. Once you split a drive up too much with several partitions for storing one thing on one and another on another and run out of space on one.. ut oohhh.. :confused:

For storing files right on the primary as well as on a second storage partition(or here another drive entirely) I create custom folders seeing sub folders for each file type like wavs for assigning sounds or jpgs from screenshots or simply wall paper. If you have that need to be on C in order to be used you have to leave enough room there as well as free space reserved for virtual memory namely the paging file.

That is one reason why seeing a good 80gb or more for the C is generally a good idea to allow some free space there as well as having a good sized separate storage partition. The large storage partition of 350gb to 400gb should work well while still allowing upto 200gb for C. If you later decide to dual boot you can alway shrink some of the free space down to see a second primary or root+swap for Linux there. Meanwhile all of your important files are safe guarded on the large 300+gb storage partition in case something goes sideways in someway.

I'm glad to see you were able to catch a good deal on the better ram by OCZ since newegg only saw the value ram for a slightly higher price. If the 640gb model was available when first putting the current build here together I would likely have a pair of those over the 500gb drives in use if not the 750gb size. That will still work well there. Before making a final decision on just how you want to partition the drive have a look at how the XP, Vista including a second storage partition and two for the root and swap for a Linux distro plus an external drive look in the Disk Management tool.

Along with the savings you saw on memory you can also save on the cost of any 3rd party drive partitioning tool. Even running Vista and seeing some improvements in that area by MS I still end up using a free Linux drive tool the Gnome Partition Editor or better known as GParted. The live for cd versions are only 35mb in size and burn easily onto a then made bootable cd-r.

The first thing to do however is get familiar with the guide for using it as well as the Disk Management tool found in "Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage" since you will often be using both at different times. The information on GParted is easy to follow at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

Still waiting to see if they will release a newer "platform independent" release then the 0.3.3.0 version found about half way down the page seen at SourceForge.net: Files

That would be #15 from the top when clicking on the "+" on the left of each release to look across and see "platform independent". The others are not able to create MS type primaries while still being able to resize them. And for burning the free iso image onto a cd-r there's a few free burning programs like BurnOn and Deep Burner available.

The free version of BurnOn has been reliable here if you ignore the IE popup to buy the full version once a burn is completed. BurnOn CD & DVD - Free DVD Burning Software - Freeware CD burner Windows XP & Vista

Once burned to a cd-r you would boot up with that like you would the XP installation disk. The one thing to know however is that all you need to do is press the enter key about 4 times once at each prompt to see the defaults loaded. That will 1024x768 for a screen resolution and don't change the 24bit to 32bit since Linux is 24bit there.

Once at the main gui simply refer to the guide until you try a few practive runs at it. After using it a few times you'll soon think this is ridiculously easy!

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'm going to part C: 120GB and D: 480GB. I just found out that I have to install SATA drivers before installing WinXP PRO because it doesn't have them.

You may have to create a driver floppy or with some boards wait until the third screen after selecting the install not repair option for the recovery console to press the S key for special devices depending on board. The last build here saw an nForce chipset requiring a driver floppy there for XP to copy and load drivers from when going to install Windows.

A friend ran into problems on a board with a VIA chipset where a driver floppy wouldn't work?! That was until deciding to try the press S option seen later on the screen after pressing the enter key for seeing Windows installed and selecting the closest chipset to what the board had from a list suddenly saw XP detecting the drive and all went on well from that point.

With the current AM2 model here no driver disk is needed while the 939 board in the last did. The newer boards have seen some improvement with the onboard controllers there.

Once you have the driver disk made up simply press F6 at the first screen and browse to the floppy unless burned on cd for a second optical drive and see if the installer readily copies and loads them up right away for you.

Meanwhile the partitioning theme there should work well. If the 120gb primary does get a little full at some point you can always use GParted to shrink the second partition somewhat in order to expand the primary to where you need it.

Yea, Hopefully the driver setup will work. I don't know which drivers I should use. I dled the WD driver Utilities, Sii, and Diag. I dled the ASUS MB drivers but did not put them on a floppy yet. Also should I use WD utilities or WinXP to part and format? I know you said to use Gnome but It should be a simple parting so I'll go with 1 of the 2 above. Since I've used them before but would still like your opinion on them.

I'm glad you agree with my partitioning idea. That should work. Before I burnt up my 250GB HD. I had Win C: drive 118GB and the rest on D: and still had 25GB free space on C:.

Thanks

The only thing that would be needed for seeing XP gp on would be the Sata/Raid drivers for the board. With the motherboard cd in look through the utilities section for a disk creation tool.

Once you go to install Windows you press F6 on the first screen with the floppy in the drvie. As you browse to the floppy itself the installer will suddenly recognise one of the main drivers and copy to load those. That will allow the installer to detect and list the drive where you then choose the primary for XP to go on.

GParted live will easily create the partitions while the XP installer will format the primary as the setup files arre copied to it. Later you can simply right click on the second partition while in the Disk Management tool. If you want your optical drive seen as D you also reassign the drive letter designed for the storage partition.

Ok, I'm back up and running but I think I made a mistake. When I was installing WinXP I did a quick format instead of full. I'm getting the dark blue full screen error some times when installing my old personal files from old drive. It says something like make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date. And it's frozen you can't shut down except restart button. Did I screw up by not doing full format? Should I reinstall? I also quick formatted the big storage area.

If I have to reinstall can I just reformat the C: drive 120GB or do I have to lose all my data including D: 480GB?

Thanks

You didn't goof anything using the quick format option in the XP installer. And no! you won't even touch or need to do anything with your storage partition. That's a totally separate item there.

If you end up reinstalling Windows which is possible if you saw a bad install to start with a good reformat or even new 120gb won't effect anything but what is on the 120gb. When you say old personal files what type of things without getting personal are you trying to see go on?

One thing to take notes on is any information seen on any blue screen since the error information will point at the actual type of problem being seen. If you are simply copying files and folders from the old drive onto the new and trying to make things run that will lead to problems. Any programs installed there will need to see a fresh install on the new drive.

That's good to hear about format, at least for storage drive. Files are bank stuff, pics things like that. Yea, I know all programs have to be reinstalled. Twice now installing AVG anti-virus with 2 different dl's I get an error that files are corrupt. What the heck?? I guess to reformat I boot to cd go to format and full format 120GB or 120,000. Do I have to push any F buttons while booting to cd?

Error is something like, Kernal_Data_Inpage_ Error

Thanks

The XP installer only formats any primary during the first install. Here I use a free Linux for both XP and Vista as well as ubuntu for first deleting and then creating a brand new primary if needed.

The XP installer can delete and create new while Vista now sees the option to format an existing partition. That's one up for Vista there finally. But a good reinstall will see the current MS folders replaced for the new install. I simply prefer the wipe option for seeing everything fresh again.

For AVG a fried lately has been raving about the free edtiion of 8.0.1 now out that includes some new features like antiadaware/spyware, IE Protection. AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

The first thing to remember when going to install any protections is to turn off the Windows firewall or anything else that could hamper AVG while trying to install it. If the only problem you are seeing is just those errors downloading a fresh copy or if that was 7.5 try the latest. You will want that anyways rather then trashing the current installl if everything else is running good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom