3600+ to q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftEyeBlind

In Runtime
Would I see a nice speed improvement in games and whatnot if I upgraded just my mobo and CPU from an overclocked 3600+ (oc to 2.91Ghz).

Same 1.5GB DDR2 800 ram and 8800GT.

I'd think you'd see a pretty good difference in games, and a bigger difference in overall performance.

All depends on what you are doing with it. I leave mine at stock 2.4 and undervolt it when i'm only playing world of warcraft. IF i'm playing more intense games i bump her back up to 3.6ghz.

How so in games? Less random stuttering?

Cheapest place to find a q6600 and motherboard to overclock with it?

More frames for the most part, so gameplay should be smooth. Plus, you can do alot more behind the scenes while gaming.

The cheapest I've seen a Q6600, is $218 at ZZF:
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core Processor 2.4GHz 1066 MHz LGA775 8MB cache Retail at ZipZoomfly
...I don't really like their service, so for a dollar more, you can get it at newegg:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

And if you can afford, the Q6700 is an awesome deal in the $280s. Has the 10x multiplier, a definite plus for overclocking:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors
...comes with a free Unreal Tournament 3 game too.

For the board, I don't what you're looking for. A board capable of SLI or Xfire in the future?

If you don't care about multi card soultions get the DFI DK P35... one of the best boards out there for quad core overclocking.

Also if you need an after market cooler for that q6600 get the xigmatek rifle 120mm... 36 bucks on newegg.

And if you can afford, the Q6700 is an awesome deal in the $280s. Has the 10x multiplier, a definite plus for overclocking

the q6700 really isn't worth it IMO...the 10x multi doesn't offer enough performance boost when ocing to justify the extra cost. If he wants to go over 3.6 then yeah he should def get the q6700.

If you are going to upgrade your cpu in a year then an e8400 would be a good choice but a q6600 or q6700 is future proof.

with the stock heatsink? I don't know...if you threw a rifle or true on them you could get prob this for everyday:

q6600: 3.6
e8400: i actually haven't heard much about ocing this thing except you can get it past 4.0 so id say you could get it around 4.2.

...cpu ocing really isn't my thing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom