Quad-Core Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
I'm selling my current build, and with the money from that, building a new rig.

Just to make it clear, I dont want to go nuts overclocking right away, but in the near future I plan to watercool it and overclock like nuts, so expect a 'watercooling build' sometime in the near future from me ;)

Please read over my choices and make suggestions, along with reasons why (eg. x mobo is better than your mobo choice because ___). If you have any questions I will answer promptly.

Cooler Master 690
LG GH20NS10 SATA DVD-Writer
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
WD 1TB SATA 16MB Cache
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA NCQ 500GB 32MB Cache
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Corsair TX750W 750W
XFX GeForce 8800GT

Trying to stay around the $1200 price range, although I need to keep it under $1400. The reason for the 1TB with a smaller cache is that it will be partitioned and used for archiving, while the two 500's will be put in RAID-1 for Vista and whatever else I use a lot (bigger cache = slightly faster, so I'm told). As for a CPU cooler, perhaps a TRUE? Either way, your suggestions are welcome!

EDIT Noticed two things. I forgot to mention that I left out RAM as Im not sure what overclocks well. I've heard Tracers, but mine have kind of hit a wall right around 1000MHz (but maybe its my motherboard / cpu). Also, is it wise to do software RAID, or should I be looking for a board with hardware RAID built in?

Get this 8800gts

Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Consider an x38 motherboard if you want to really overclock the snot out of it.

Also that case may not be great for water cooling... If your cool with doing a lot of modding it is possible but it is going to be pretty cramped.

Take a look at the Uber Chakra or the Gigabyte Aurora 570 Like my rig.

techPowerUp! :: Case Modding Gallery : 2008 Black Aurora Updates

^^ Only if you buy it, then turn around and sell it to me ;) NewEgg wants nothing to do with Canada, so I cant order from there.

Any recommendations on an x38 board?

And I'm personally a huge fan of your case, except for the front. imo, the front cover is ugly. The inside is amazing though. What kind of modding are we talking?

*sigh* if only it came stock with side windows like this... I'm no good at cutting out precise things like windows
image00002lw2.jpg

No one else has a single opinion on ram, a case, or an x38 board? Not looking for someone to say "buy this" but more along the lines of "I have a __ and couldnt be happier" or "I hear ___ is amazing for OC'ing".

Personally, I've heard alot about the evga 780i boards *missed the stepup myself* as far as overclockability. umm, also, there was the evga 680i black pearl edition, all waterblocks included on it already, built for liquid cooling only. I don't know how they will stack up. heard tracers and reapers are good for overcocking, but none of this is based off of personal experience. I'm still building my system. NOTE, just saw the not watercooling yet. with your build, the 680i or 780i a1 versions will do you justice.

Evga 750i FTW if you want an SLI capable board. If you do buy a TRUE you wont even need to bother with watercooling. You can get 95% of the potential out of a q6x00 using a TRUE.

True (pun not intended), but to do that Id need two fans on the TRUE, cranked right up, right? I was hoping to go watercooling for two reasons - good cooling & overclockability, but also to reduce the noise in the case.

Personally, I've heard alot about the evga 780i boards *missed the stepup myself* as far as overclockability. umm, also, there was the evga 680i black pearl edition, all waterblocks included on it already, built for liquid cooling only. I don't know how they will stack up. heard tracers and reapers are good for overcocking, but none of this is based off of personal experience. I'm still building my system. NOTE, just saw the not watercooling yet. with your build, the 680i or 780i a1 versions will do you justice.

The black pearl version of the evga board is garbage. They made a stupid choice and went with aluminum blocks by innovatek.

Evga 750i FTW if you want an SLI capable board. If you do buy a TRUE you wont even need to bother with watercooling. You can get 95% of the potential out of a q6x00 using a TRUE.

But will the TRUE get you laid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom