reformatting to xp.....HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctek681

Solid State Member
Hey my computer is running really slow right now so i wanted to reformat the drive. I am currently running on windows me and i want to upgrade to windows xp after. I am not very good with computers and i could use all the help i can get. I have all the disks for both operating systems. If someone could help with a step by step tutorial or a website that would show me how to do it that would be great. Thanks for any help. sorry if covered before.

ok
first.....turn on ur comp....make sure uv back everything up....

1) Insert the cd and if the autoplay shit comes off, close it.
2) reboot your computer
3) Boot up ur BIOS by pressing F1-F12 keys(varies on different computers)
4) Set the BOOT to your Cd-ROM drive that has ur XP cd in it.
5) Exit and Save Settings(this shud automatically reboot ur PC.
6)Follow the Instructions on the WIndows XP Screen

bucemdown320 said:
ok
first.....turn on ur comp....make sure uv back everything up....

1) Insert the cd and if the autoplay shit comes off, close it.
2) reboot your computer
3) Boot up ur BIOS by pressing F1-F12 keys(varies on different computers)
4) Set the BOOT to your Cd-ROM drive that has ur XP cd in it.
5) Exit and Save Settings(this shud automatically reboot ur PC.
6)Follow the Instructions on the WIndows XP Screen

when u reach the below picture,it will show your previous window ME which is FAT32 on the screen. From here, u should delete all the previous partition n make a new 1. if your hardisk big enough such as more than 40GB, i suggest to make 2 patition. first partition u allocate 5GB to install window xp(c drive) while u put the rest for the second partition (d drive). D drive is for u to put all the program files n important data so that next time u window unstable n u want to reformat again, u just need to reformat drive c only.Ok, back to the topic, after u set the partition, it will ask you to reformat your drive, is better for you to choose full/clean format using NTFS, not quick format.
partitions.jpg

after format the machine will automatic reboot n it will enter the screen below. it will aumatically install the window for u. just follow the instruction of the screen.
splash.jpg

blue.jpg

after u reach the screen below thats mean u already success install window. but do not forget to change back your boot sequence to hardisk on next reboot.
screenshots.jpg

I would say that if your computer is running slow with Windows ME, then you really don't want to upgrade to XP. I'd recommend going BACK to Win98 (which is much more stable than ME and requires less overhead), or switch to Windows 2000, which has pretty much all the functionality features of XP but without all the pretty (and resource-intensive) GUI frills. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom