AMD Athlon 64 2800+vs3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I'm buying a new motherboard and processor (because I'm giving my computer to my brother, I'm so nice). But I'm not sure if I should get AMD 64 Bit 2800+, or 3200+?

I do understand AMD 64 bit is way more powerful then 32 bit, but I want the fastest possible system for gaming. I don't want to spend over $250 for the motherboard+processor (because I need a video card). I have two 512Megs of ram I plan on putting in it that are PC2100, so I'm not upgrading to PC3200 or PC2700.

What is my best bet, to go for the 3200+ which is 2.20GHZ or go for the 64 bit 2800+ which is 1.8 GHZ.

My system is 1.5GHZ right now, would 1.8GHZ 64 bit be much better? I want to be able to play games and programming at ease.

Thank you! :mad:

Yep. Can't wait. I read about it, but the sad thing is I just ordered webhosting so now I'm getting close to broke again.. looks like it's back to full time.

Considering you have a Radeon 9800, the 2800+ will get the job done well... But I must advise you to upgrade your memory. 233 Mhz just doesn't cut it these days... The quality of memory is very important when it comes to heavy gaming.

P.S.: Your old system was a 1.5 Ghz... So with the 2800+ (1.8 Ghz) you are going to notice a HUGE difference.

The reason AMD calls their classes by number (ex.: 2800+) is because that is how they perform when comparing to Intel, etc.
AMD's architecture features shorter pipe lines than Intel, therefore they do not need as high of a frequency.

It's like one car driving at 30 km/h down a 200 ft. street, and another driving at 60 km/h down a 400 ft. street. They are both going to reach the end at the same time.

Wow, thanks Agex. I never knew that... I just got it today, it's sitting on my bed ready to go. It comes with all this shit, it's going to take more then 10 minutes to put together lol ;)

I will upgrade my memory at a later time. If I feel my system isn't performing good enough, I will upgrade. But I am giving my old system to my brother (he's giving me a truck he fixed, he's a engineer on a ship in the coastguard.. he fixes good amazingly :p) which is designed for music mainly, and he's into music so we're doing a even trade.

Thanks AGEX for the information about the AMD and INTEL. I haven't used a intel in a LONG time. My last intel was a 350MHZ P2, it blew out two days after the warranty for it ended LOL

Thanks again though. I'll let you know how the new system is.. :)

why not get a 2500+ or something, and get pc3200 ram.. that would probably run better =/ You're overlooking the ram a lot, saying pc2100 for your new "gaming" system..

I play three games. FarCry (since I just got it today with the motherboard), America's Army, and Battlefield 1942. I'm not really THAT much of a gamer. I do more programming then anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom