I'm building my first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headspreaders are different, doesn't make much of a difference though.

The more expensive set, has lower/better timings at 4-4-3-15.

Hmmm...there's quite a big price difference though. So I should go with the cheaper?

There's another?! :eek:

Why would you go for that one?

*edit*
Why you hating on the p35-ds3r? It overclocks quite well. You might want to consider the q6600 if you plan to keep the system for a while, as more and more programs will be using multicores than the e8400.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer

Bah i missed the updated list...
Yeah, sorry about that. I will update my main post as I go along. And I am trying for as much longevity as much budget will allow. :)

Why you hating on the p35-ds3r? It overclocks quite well. You might want to consider the q6600 if you plan to keep the system for a while, as more and more programs will be using multicores than the e8400.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer

Bah i missed the updated list...

No one is hating on the DS3R....but there are better boards for clocking quads. That one budget OcUK board has proven itself past 550fsb...and everyone knows the P5K is an all around better board then the DS3R.

As for the ram, yeah there are a lot of choices....the one b1gapl linked is pretty good. It does 400mhz stock which means you will be able to get your q6600 to 3.6ghz without even overclocking the ram.

Also if you can afford the extra for the cooler, its worth it. The AF7 Pro is no doubt a very good cooler for the money, but it is still a budget cooler. On the other hand, if you aren't aiming for super high clocks then the AF7 will suit just fine (3.2-3.4ghz no problem)

Unless you have to ever send it back and deal with Asus tech support. A q6600 wont ever need to be pushed past 450 FSB anyhoo.

You guys are great. I really appreciate the help. I'll update my first post from now on, as well as in the latest post.

What do you look for when comparing motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom