My SP3 experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright story time.

So i got SP3 ISO from MSDN. I got all excited cause i knew i had a big reformat and install coming. With the release of SP3 adn Ubuntu being released as well i was all set to get things rolling. So i got all my stuff setup and ready to roll.

First step. Insert GParted and format all drives to the appropiate File Systems. NTFS for XP/Vista and Reiserfs for Ubuntu. Got started by putting the XP disc. Start to install. Things were rollign along nicely when i noticed that the isntall was taking a bit longer than normal. No biggie i thought.

So the install finishes. I pop in my SP3 CD. Install it. Start to put on other drivers and apps that i use. After a while i get SP3 installed and restart. So i go to Windows update. Figure it was about time to get my updates. I figure with SP3 installed there wouldnt be many.

This is where all the trouble being. First the Windows Installer 3.1 updated failed. then the WGA installer failed. I could not get anywhere with the site as every updated failed.

So i restart thinking something happened. Again i go back to WU and nothing works. Everything fails. I try my sound and even that driver failed to install. So i try safe mode with networking. Still nothing works.

So i finally get fed up and uninstall SP3 and try. Now it works. The updates install and so do my sound drivers. After all the 100+ updates i finally got it working again. After all the updates installed i got SP3 installed again and working.

Strange that with SP3 installed right away XP seemed to not work.

Now here is another good one for you. So my XP disc was a little out of date. Was from Nov of last year and i was sick of having to do over 100 updates for all of my installs. I have Norton Ghost 10 or 9 around somewhere but CBA to find it and make a new image.

So i decide to use nlite and AutoPatcher to try and create a updated image. To also include SP3. Well i get the Auto patcher and run it. Get all the updates. Alright not bad. Looks to be about the right amount. It goes thru just fine. I messed up the Auto install CD key so that sucked.

After that get SP3 slipstreamed. Burn it like i should. Viola. New XP Disc Right??

WRONG.

So i format my XP isntall again for the 2nd time in just as many days and put on this new XP. Well let me tell you. I ahve not IE. I can run WU. But not IE what so ever. Not really a bad thing. But no MCE either. Which shouldnt happen. SP3 slipstreamed. So now here i am on a XP install that is hacked up pretty good.

So i went back to the drawing board. MCE disc with NLite to get just 1 driver added and add my Serial to the install cause i am lazy. Create it and got SP3 slipstreamed.

Now time to burn it and isntall yet again. Fun wow. Will report back from my 3rd attempt in jsut as many days shortly....

This would be hilarious if you actually knew ANYTHING about Windows.

...waitaminute...

:laughing:

Thanks Trotter. I needed the grat comment at this time. Perfect.

Just wanted to give people a heads up to trying to slipstream SP3 onto a MCE disc. As that is what is causing all of this grief. Using just a plain old XP disc. Works.

Blasted fools.....

Always forgetting about MCE......

Why did they bother to release it......

No updates to it in 3 years.........

I like it when people post three times even with corrected information while you are still typing your reply. Isn't that fun? :p "yaa... right! :rolleyes: "

Back to SP3 I figured it wouldn't take long for softpedia. com to see the full rerdistributable service pack once the final release was ready. The download time will be faster at Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 FINAL - Microsoft periodically combines updates, fixes, and other improvements into a single package - Service Pack - Softpedia then the other link for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom