System will not POST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookinfur

Beta member
04/27/08 -- New build worked for approximately 3 hours. Motherboard and all hardware are NEW (retail).

Components:
ECS KN1 SLI Extreme motherboard - 939 Socket
Bios: Phoenix D886 (1998)
AMD Dual Core 4400+ processor
XFX 8500 GT (PCI video card)
Suntec 450 amp PSU
Seagate 160 GB SATA Hard drive (SATA)
ASUS DVD/CD r/w (SATA)
Kingston 1 GB (PC 3200 DDR ram)

Current Situation: All fans run, all LEDs light up, hard drive spins, DVD r/w tray works, CPU heats up, but machine will NOT POST. There are no POST codes (beeps) of any kind and no Video output at all - just a blank screen. Have swapped out PSU, memory, Display, disconnected all peripherals, tried to get POST code beeps with memory and w/o memory, with video card and w/o video card, with peripheral and w/o peripherals. Removed motherboard from case and tried again, thinking that maybe there might be a case short, but nothing makes any difference. The motherboard will NOT POST!

Motherboard History: Built system on 04/27/08 and it worked fine when first assembled. Loaded XP and everything seemed OK. Tried to add a used CD reader (IDE) -- that had been working when I removed it -- and it immediately fried. This tripped the PSU and the machine shutdown. I then removed that CD reader and rebooted and everything still worked. Tried another CD reader that was also used and working when it was stored and it too fried. This time however, the PSU did not shut down and I quickly turned the system off. I then removed that CD reader and rebooted. Again, the system worked fine.

After dinking around with XP, I went on to the ASUS website and downloaded a firmware upgrade for the DVD/CD read/write. I then installed it. This caused the ASUS drive light to come on and stay on. The tray also wouldn't open. I quickly shut down the machine and purged the BIOS. This seemed to correct the problem. The DVD light then went on and then off normally and the tray opened and closed. I did not check to see if the DVD R\W actually worked at this point, but I assume it did. I then checked the "Device Manager" to see if all hardware was functional. Everything appeared to be working except for two USB hubs. I found a driver for one, but was unable to initially find a driver for the other. I then plugged a USB 2.0 flash drive into the machine in order to access some additional programs and was told that I did not have USB 2.0 functionality. According to this message it was because I "did not have SP1 installed." I then loaded SP1 on the machine, but still got the same message indicating that I did not have USB 2.0 functionality. I then found a driver for the USB 2.0 hub and loaded it. Next, I replugged the USB Flash drive to see if I finally had USB 2.0 capability and the machine immediately locked up. I then shut it down removed the flash drive and rebooted. It was at this point that I no loner got a POST of any kind; or, any video output that might indicate that a POST was taking place. The screen remained totally blank. Refer back to "Current Situation" at the top of this post.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this machine? If so, the insights would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am leaning towards a corrupted BIOS chip.

Well i would check the BIOS to see if the drives are still recognized. Other than that it could be a corrupted BIOS. Could try to flash it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom