PC turns on but nothing happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

Baseband Member
Hey,

My pc has stoped working, when i turn it on nothing appears on the screen, just stays black.

Ive been round a mates house testing what i could but as i have amd and my m8 has intel we couldnt test everything.

I know its not the graphics card, or the power supply or the hard drive.

How would i find out what piece of hardware has failed? It could be the motherboard,cpu or ram maybe. the motherboard has the lights on, so power is still going through.

How much ram you got? If you have multiple sticks try taking one out and booting, if that doesn't work put that one back in and take out the other, try booting. If neither work then it's not your ram or both ram sticks are dead.

However this your comp has been fine for a while, i'd bet it's the mobo or just some other odd issue, rather then the RAM or CPU, but that's me and my lil inexperienced opinion( learning though!:happy: )

ALSO, by the screen being black, do you also been nothing is lit up on the computer itself, just to make sure you don't just have a broken monitor.

thanks, ill be sure to try the ram, i have 2 sticks of 1 gig. It could possibly be the motherboard its a ASUS SLI SE, got it 2 years ago, its had a fan on it thats never worked. So your saying the chances are that its not the CPU, is there any way to prove this?

edit: i just tried both the ram sticks seperatly and nothing works still! is there any way to check between the CPU and Motherboard, its pay day tomorow and i could get it out of the way

oh and the screen is black, but everything inside the computer seems to work fine. all lights on and the harddirve loads as you can here it just like before

EDIT: i just read somewere that i could possibly try taking the CPU off the mobo, and turning the PC on, if the PC beeps then the board is ok as it realizes there is no CPU. I may try this tomorow morning. Anybody got any advice?

Ok just to let you all know, i took out my CPU and my motherbard did not even beep or do anything! Does this mean its my mobo that has gone bad? The cpu looks fine and all good, ill put it all back together first though.

Anybody got any thoughts befor ei go and biu another mobo?

Thanks

How do you know it's not the graphics card? Did you try another monitor or your monitor on another pc? Also you said it doesn't beep when cpu is out of board. Did it make any beeps when it was in?
Complete system specs would also be helpful.

How do you know it's not the graphics card? Did you try another monitor or your monitor on another pc? Also you said it doesn't beep when cpu is out of board. Did it make any beeps when it was in?
Complete system specs would also be helpful.

The graphics card has been tested in another computer, so has the PSU and the hard drive. its not the ram as thats been tested.

The computer is prety old now, here the specs, i bought it 2 years ago and built myself

No it didnt beep before

AMD x2 3800+ CPU
Nvidia 7800GTX
Asus SLI SE mobo
Hiper 680W PSU
250gig hdd
2gig Crucial ram

If your sure the monitors is good. One last thing to try would be take out cmos battery and reset board and seeif you get any changes, if not I'd say your board is toast.

You said you had a fan that never worked on your board. It wasn't the cpu fan was it?

Thanks,

Ive already tried taking the battery out, no differance what so ever. Nah the fan was a small fan on one of the chips by the PCI E slot.

I think its probrably the motherboard, im trying to find one on maplins website.

Cheers

Run MemTest86 for at least 4 hours. That will test your RAM.

Memtest86 - Download Page

If that passes then you have to do a stress test on the CPU. I think there is a liveCD for that somehwere. I will have to find it.

If all that passes then you are down to the mobo being the problem.

Also have you tried a Linux LiveCD at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom