Old p4 rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
A couple of weeks ago, an older p4 socket 478 hp desktop suddenly crashed so after changing a new hdd it booted without errors. A day immediaterly after, the desktop cannot be powered up so I thought the power supply was spoilt and I gave up on fixing it.
Until today, when I tried to power up the computer, there is power!! Wow!! How strange?
But wtf, the hdd brings on a very heavy irritating clark clark sound continuosly and refuses to boot with the OS already installed. The hdd is new and so I swopped to the older hdd it does not have any sound but the OS loading kept crashing. Now I dunno wat to do.
How should I proceed from here? Could the motherboard be faulty? But I doubt so because the bios can be accessed and all the fans are spinning. Anyone can shed some light into this old donjey p4 system?
The specs is p4 1.8ghz, 256 ddr1 pc100, vga 32mb onboard. Old hdd is 40gb but the new hdd is 80gb. psu is 200W.

reinstall os on old hdd.
Clicking noise from hdd drive is usually a bad thing. You may have received a bad one, it happens.
As for power issue let's fix one at a time. You may have a wire loose from all the playin around in there. Also don't forget to be properly grounded when working inside case. static electricity is a killer.

by the way. How do you have a new hdd with the os when you have a thread going trying to get a disk. I'm confused.

That was pre installed by a technician in a nearby pc shop.
Heh. I have tried requesting him to sell me a burned copy but he refuses. How dumb once the thought of it to have bought a new hdd from him and he is really dumb not to sell me a burned copy. That was why the thread was created. Nothing confusing really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom