Best CPU for Gaming Purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviator

Baseband Member
Im in the midst of upgrading and am wondering whats the best processor for gaming?
Ive looked through the forums and looked at reviews for the phenom 9850 but still cant decide wether or not its built for gaming.

At the moment what is the best processor for this? It could be either intel or amd.

For your information, Q6600 is cheaper than 9850 but it is slightly faster, and it consume less power. So, Intel Q6600 is a better buy in my opinion

E8400 performs better in gaming that both, and it is cheaper than both. The only bad thing about is E8400 is that it is a dual core. So, it will not last you as long as Quad core.

If you are not planing to upgrade for a long time then Q6600 might be a better choice, otherwise get E8400

EDIT:

Also read this. Phenom 9750 and 9850 have compatibility problem with 780G boards. So, you are forced to buy 790FX-based motherboard which cost more than $150.

So, the AMD would cost a lot more, because both the motherboard and their power-hungry CPU cost more than their Intel counterparts.

\Price-wise, you're looking at about the same, and in fact, the Q6600 is lower than $200 now on some sites online, takes less power, usually runs cooler, and can overclock like no other. At stock, for the Q6600, you're looking at 2.4ghz per core. When overclocked using a reputable after-market cooling solution like the Zalman 9700 (and maybe some Arctic Silver 5), you could easily hit 3.2ghz on each core and higher. I've seen hundreds of reports where people are achieving 3.6ghz stable as ever.

I have to say that the Q6600 is really where it's at right now. It was launched at over $800. Dropped to mid $500. Dropped dramatically again to low $200 range, and is now, in some places, under $200.

-DarkPacMan77-

Im not much of an Intel guy so i barely know whats good and whats not in that category, anywho my question is what about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300? Is that better? Or is the 6600 the best out of all?

Not sure what you're talking about regarding "pipes" and so on.

The AMD quads are native quad-core, which just means the latency between cores is virtually non-existant as they don't need to communicate though the FSB or HT.

This doesn't eliminate the fact that they are slower clock for clock than the q6600 and clock much lower (if overclocking). In other words, having 4 slower cores able to communicate with eachother very fast is NOT better than 4 faster cores having to communicate over the FSB.

Anyway, to answer your original question, the E8400 or E8500 is the best processor for gaming at the moment; but as maroon stated, in the near-future many games will be optimized for 4+cores, so in those cases the quad will pull ahead in performance.

Also the Q6600 is very easy to overclock, 3.6+ghz clocks are not uncommon on simple air coolers.

Im not much of an Intel guy so i barely know whats good and whats not in that category, anywho my question is what about the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300? Is that better? Or is the 6600 the best out of all?

From here you can see side by side comparison between Q6600 and Q9300

Q9300 performs about 7.4% faster on average, and it consume less power.

However many people here don't like Q9300 because it cost much more and does not overclock as good Q6600

So, get Q6600

Yeah the Q9300 is a slightly better CPU @ stock, but is significantly more expensive so not really worth it...and if you are overclocking the Q6600 is a better choice as well.

The Q6600 will offer more overclockability than the Q9300. At stock, the Q9300 is only 100mhz faster than the Q6600. For the money, I'd look at the Q6600.

-DarkPacMan77-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom