SLI worth doing with 19"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
Taking to long to save up money and I'm starting to get picky about everything.

Right now, it's screen size and video cards. I have a 9800gtx card and a 780i board picked out with this board, along with a 22" monitor. Originally I wanted a 19" monitor, but I thought SLI wouldn't help much since a 9800gtx should be able to max most things how on a 19" res.

After looking at my friend's monitor, which is a 19" inch, it seems like it would due me just fine. But I don't want to buy a high end SLI board and then later another 9800gtx for it not to help any at all. So when it comes down to it, should I get a 19" to save like $60 or just keep going for a 22".

If I go with a 22" the next question is : Will a 9800gtx be able to max at most games on it still without trouble? Or will I have to SLI to get good results?

Thanks a lot, this makes like the hundredth stupid question I've asked lol

A 9800GTX will handle games on 22" easily, except for Crysis as usual. But this whole "Crysis can't max out on the latest hardware" is really annoying, so I'd say it isn't worth it, to go out of your way to get great frame rates on just one game.

Yea, I don't see the point in building a super computer just so I can brag about "hey I can max out crysis".

but is SLI any use for a 19"? I'm sure sooner or later a demanding game will come out that will need either a new card (i most likely won't be upgrading for years..that's why i'm going sli for some future-proofness) or some good cards in SLI.

22" just seems kinda big for me and anyway to lower money would be nice lol
probably not making much sense :( I'm sorry..

For a 19", just one very powerful single card will do. Such as the 9800GTX, or even the 9800GX2. No need for SLI.

even in the future?? Like I said, I won't be upgrading in awhile.
So I will keep the SLI board anyway it goes just for flexibility. How about the 22"? Any use to SLI with it? I've heard 24+ is when SLI starts getting to be needed, so I'm not sure.

22" is in area of not needing SLI too. A 9800GTX can handle games fairly easy. And how long is not upgrading in a while? Keeping the SLI board is a good choice. I'd say, buy a single powerful card, test it out, see how you like it with the games....and only SLI if you really have to, when games start to bring the single to it's knees.

Well, I'm still running on single-core and DDR1 RAM, haven't upgraded in years.
I'll honestly say it'll be another 2ish years atleast before I put any more money into upgrade parts.

That's what I plan to do SLI when I need to, I just didn't know if you need to SLI to get good results with a 22"

i can max out most games on a 24" with my single card at 1900x1200. (not crysis, and modded oblivion(1600x1080 is fine) )

youd be fine with a 22" and single card.

If you really want sli, you can get two 9600gt's for the same price as the gtx..they would be better, but not in all games. Or you can do a single 9800gtx now and get another later if you get a 22" or 24" and want to throw on loads of eye candy.

Id say 1680x1050 is the bare minimum for SLI...1440x900 is pushing it.

well I know 1440x900 would be pushing it for now, but what about 2 years down the road?? would 2 cards be needed for it.

Oh yea, I got my mind set on the 9800gtx :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom